If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, my name is chelsiemajor! Will I get a backdated payment? How long will it take?

Options
chelsiemajor
chelsiemajor Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi could do with some help please, only 3 days ago I found out I apply for the child disability element, I updated my journal with this baring in mind my daughter has been getting dla from 2020, they said that under the circumstances and because I did not know about the element I have been awarded it, the lady on the phone phone told me I should get it back dated I keep asking on my journal about the backdated money but they won’t response how anyone had similar to it & where you back dated and how long did it take thank you 

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If your child is getting middle-high rate care you can also claim the Carer’s Element if not doing already, this will further add £168.81 on top and you can ask for this to be backdated too although it’s down to a Decision Maker to see if special circumstances apply. 
    You should get a letter on your journal telling you if both amounts will be backdated and once you receive this you will further receive another letter telling you the amount owed, once you have had this it will be 3-5 working days. Unfortunately the waiting time between the two letters can be lengthy due to the time it takes to recalculate awards so I advise up to a month.
  • chelsiemajor
    Options
    I already receive carers allowance and had that back dated earlier this year. I had 2 letters put on my journal yesterday saying I will now receive the child disability element payment from the date of change. But it’s doesn’t say an amount it only says that I will be able to see it if my payments which I can’t right now… they said they have put in a request for a back dating payment to be made I just wanted to know roughly how long this took
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

They do need some time to respond as they deal with lots of journal messages 

Also back pay can take a few weeks to calculate as they will review you old payments and apply the new element 

When you enter a journal entry if you mark it payment query it is seen by case manager 

• chelsiemajor
    Options
    Thanks a lot xx
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @chelsiemajor Do you mean actual Carers Allowance (deducted from UC) or do you receive via UC and get it paid on top? Just checking to ensure you are receiving the maximum support.
  • chelsiemajor
    Options
    Yes I already get carers allowance I’m owed child disability element payment from uc from 2022
  • chelsiemajor
    Options
    sorry
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    I am amazed that they intend to back pay this.
    I never knew that I could claim Carers Premium for my wife and my wife for me. When I did find out I asked for it to be backdated to 2004 when we claimed Pension Credit. It was refused on the basis that it was up to the claimant at the time to find out what increases we could get - not for the Pension Service to offer advice and help in making a claim.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    racyguy said:
    I never knew that I could claim Carers Premium for my wife and my wife for me. When I did find out I asked for it to be backdated to 2004 when we claimed Pension Credit. It was refused on the basis that it was up to the claimant at the time to find out what increases we could get - not for the Pension Service to offer advice and help in making a claim.
    If you were already entitled to Carer’s Allowance then you would certainly have been able to challenge a decision not backdate the carer premium. If you had not established the Carer’s Allowance by claiming CA that would be a different matter.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • racyguy
    Options
    calcotti said:
    racyguy said:
    If you were already entitled to Carer’s Allowance then you would certainly have been able to challenge a decision not backdate the carer premium. If you had not established the Carer’s Allowance by claiming CA that would be a different matter.
    Um yes, we both claimed CA -her for me since 1996 and me for her in 2014. Then the payment for me stopped when we claimed the SRP. We never did receive anything for my claim for her - the Jobcentre told me that it could not be paid as I was getting my SRP. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    racyguy said:
    calcotti said:
    racyguy said:
    Um yes, we both claimed CA -her for me since 1996 and me for her in 2014. Then the payment for me stopped when we claimed the SRP. We never did receive anything for my claim for her - the Jobcentre told me that it could not be paid as I was getting my SRP. 
    Not paying the CA was correct but the carer premium would have applied because of the ‘underlying entitlement’. Too late now but the decision not to backdate the premium to any CA entitlement was in my opinion incorrect and could have been challenged.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • racyguy
    Options
    calcotti said:
    racyguy said:
    calcotti said:
    racyguy said:
    Not paying the CA was correct but the carer premium would have applied because of the ‘underlying entitlement’. Too late now but the decision not to backdate the premium to any CA entitlement was in my opinion incorrect and could have been challenged.
    Thanks - story of my life. You just wouldn't believe how much money over the year from a few benefits has been lost due to not knowing the ins and outs.
    I just went along with what the Jobcentre said - I had no idea that they may well have been wrong.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,981 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What a nightmare @racyguy. It sounds really frustrating. It sounds positive that you are now aware that they may well be wrong. Good luck and if you need any support please don't hesitate to reach out to us  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • racyguy
    Options
    What a nightmare @racyguy. It sounds really frustrating. It sounds positive that you are now aware that they may well be wrong. Good luck and if you need any support please don't hesitate to reach out to us  :)
    Yes knowing now is good, but it doesn't really help anymore as it would only benefit us if we were claiming a means tested benefit (Pension Credit) So not only can we not get the Carers Premium x2 but we can't have the Carers Allowance (x2) because we are both in receipt of the SRP.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,250 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    racyguy said:
    So not only can we not get the Carers Premium
    It's paid as part of pension credit that's why...
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • racyguy
    Options
    racyguy said:
    So not only can we not get the Carers Premium
    It's paid as part of pension credit that's why...
    That's what I said. It appears that it should have been paid as an extra amount whilst claiming Pension Credit but it wasn't. Now that there isn't a PC claim/award in place it can't be paid and neither can the Carers Allowance because we get the SRP.  
  • racyguy
    Options
    You could say that we are 'saving' the State almost £140 a week in not getting paid anything for caring for each other Seems that when you start getting the State Pension they won't pay the allowance - maybe they think we are too old to care!
  • calcotti
    Options
    racyguy said:
    You could say that we are 'saving' the State almost £140 a week in not getting paid anything for caring for each other Seems that when you start getting the State Pension they won't pay the allowance - maybe they think we are too old to care!
    It’s nothing to do with whether or not you care, SP and CA (along with contribution based ESA and JSA) are non means tested earnings replacement benefits which are classed as overlapping and are not paid simultaneously. However extra help is still provided to areas who receive means tested benefits.
  • racyguy
    Options
    calcotti said:
    racyguy said:
    It’s nothing to do with whether or not you care, SP and CA (along with contribution based ESA and JSA) are non means tested earnings replacement benefits which are classed as overlapping and are not paid simultaneously. However extra help is still provided to areas who receive means tested benefits.
    Yes, it's not a question of extra help I am looking at but some help to recognise that pensioner carers also care and who for whatever reason do/cannot claim a means tested benefit. They apparently missed off one of the Carers Premiums when we claimed a means tested benefit. 
    Makes you wonder how much the State are holding on when not paying people like us.
  • calcotti
    edited September 2022
    Options
    racyguy said:
    Makes you wonder how much the State are holding on when not paying people like us.
    They are not paying you because you are not claiming for reasons that you have rehearsed across numerous threads.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.