My daughter has recently been diagnosed with autism ,but what now. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My daughter has recently been diagnosed with autism ,but what now.

Options
gina1983
gina1983 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hey I'm feeling a bit lost.my daughter (12) has recently been diagnosed with autism and O.D.D.
It has taken years to get her diagnosed.
I had the zoom call with some paediatricians and psychologists to confirm and then received a letter stating it. But my worry is that, that's it.they are not helping me with any of her behaviours , or lack of sleep, constant tantrums, school avoidance .My house is so stressed out every day because my daughters eruptions and melt downs are getting worse.do I keep calling them for advice.the GP has put her on the camhs list but said it could be a very long wait.what else can I do to help my beautiful girl and the rest of my family.
Thankyou

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Hey @gina1983. Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. How are you doing?

Thanks for already finding the courage to reach out to us. Apologies that no one has responded to you yet. 

I can hear that although your daughter has finally received diagnoses, you feel you have not received adequate support. 

It sounds like this is causing your house to be stressed out every day, especially as your daughter's eruptions and meltdowns are getting worse. 

I think one of the first and most important things to do is identify the triggers for your daughter's eruptions and meltdowns. It is often only when we identify the triggers that we can reduce them.

I hope this at least semi-helps. Please do feel free to let us know if you want to talk things through further with us or need any further support. 

Some additional resources you might find helpful include:

Take care for now and we will look forward to hopefully hearing from you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.