If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Can we chat broadband

Options
Sandy_123
Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,882 Disability Gamechanger
edited September 2022 in Coffee lounge
Hi all, I'm searching for a good deal on broadband, I'm with sky at the moment, out of contract and paying 40.50  :o spoke to sky a few minutes ago, best they could come up with was 37 something.  Had a guy from talk talk ring offering 25.70 for fast speeds. I don't know anything about speeds was 62 to 69mb????? So who you with and is it any good?

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Talktalk are ok but they charge me £35 a month including anytime free calls. They also raise their prices regularly which is annoying considering all things. Speed is fine I’ve never had a problem with iplayer etc for example.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Its so confusing bt saying £32  a month for 500mb plus delivery  I've been talking to all these people and there like  the offer finishes today. I'm like  :| 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There will be a different offer tomorrow though don't be caught with that one they are on commission 

I'm with sky so not much help for you but usually if you say you are leaving they offer you better deal 
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    HI Sandy_123,
    It depends on what you want to do.  If all you will be doing is general internet "surfing" or using it for emails, that speed is more than suitable.  If you want to play online games, or stream movies, you`d better wait for someone who does so they can guide you (I don`t play online games or stream, so can`t advise on that).
    One point you need to ask when you look at broadband is the contention rate / ratio.  It`s usually 50:1 (but I believe BT can also offer 20:1) which means that one broadband "pipe" into an area will be shared by up to 50 endpoints (houses / homes).  If all 50 homes are online at the same time, each home has less.  If only one home is onine, then theoretically that one home has the full bandwidth to use.
    Andy
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Sandy this may help:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/compare-broadband-deals/

Quite often suppliers make it even cheaper if you go via comparison too.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Oh I don't fall for the it ends in 5 minutes sale pitch. Sky's better offer was 37 pound. Then scoffed when I said I'm not renewing, I'm checking out the market.tryed to get me to ring his colleagues. Told him I'm not ringing 10 people from same company. 
    Thanks for link @bg844

• wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    try https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/ and https://www.comparethemarket.com/ also https://www.moneysupermarket.com/broadband/ is worth shopping around to get a better deal. Don't be too hasty in choosing take your time. Think about it before you take the plunge. GB is better than mb. Another thing to consider is their customer service is it online only or can you phone them up or email them what is best for you. Take your time consider all the options and try haggling with them on webchat if it's available. 

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    wendy41 said:
    try https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/ and https://www.comparethemarket.com/ also https://www.moneysupermarket.com/broadband/ is worth shopping around to get a better deal. Don't be too hasty in choosing take your time. Think about it before you take the plunge. GB is better than mb. Another thing to consider is their customer service is it online only or can you phone them up or email them what is best for you. Take your time consider all the options and try haggling with them on webchat if it's available. 

Thinking like this will, for most people, lead to disappointment. If you have a 1GB link going into your house, but your house or your computer / laptop isn`t configured for high speeds, you won`t get 1GB.
    Fortunately IT network equipment (network cards or wireless) are getting better and faster.

• Sandy_123
    Options
    Thanks for the links I will look tomorrow.  I have to take my time as there are so many, some offer incentives too. Which is tempting 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I believe that, often, whether you get a good service from a certain company or not depends on where you live and the infrastructure in your area.

There are only 2 real choices: Virgin Media and everyone else. Everyone else uses the same infrastructure (BT). Virign Media have their own. So if you have some certain issues with EE you will likely have the same issues with Sky, for example, as they both use the BT infrastructure.

It's also worth remembering that they advertise their speeds in megabits rather than the more commonly used megabytes, which makes it seem faster. A megabit is 1/8 of a megabyte so a 80 megabit per second connection will actually only download 10 megabytes per second. So that 1GB file will download a bit slower than you may have imagined.
  • Sandy_123
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I'm still looking through it all at the moment I've discovered my own broadband its 60.17 mbps so need to match it or more. 
    Also changing phone contracts as that's is up too. But will stick with EE for that. I'm tempted by there Google phone that comes with Google mini hub and the google screen attachment t to it. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    To reiterate, i pay £35 a month for internet and anytime free landline calls. Is there a cheaper option then @Sandy_123?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Options
    There's loads of deals @leeCal there are cheaper ones  out there then 35   cheapest I've seen is 20 25  but I need to match internet speeds as I know what I've got work well, if there higher then a bonus
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.