LCWRA, Pip and working — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA, Pip and working

Options
Em28
Em28 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello, 

How many hours am I able to work if I am claiming pip and have been assessed as LCWRA? I don't want my benefits being affected as I will be made homeless if they go down. I don't know if I will be able to cope with work in all honesty, but I just need to find out all the information I can as right now I'm in very difficult circumstances. 

Thanks in advance, 
Em
(one very depressed woman :(
Tagged:

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It’s based on how much you earn, not hours. If you claim help with housing costs you can earn up to £344 without deductions or if you don’t claim help for housing this figure is £573. Any further earnings will be deducted 55p per £1 you earn.

Do be aware that if your job contradicts what you get LCWRA for this may go against you when you are re-assessed, even though they are suspended at the moment to clear new claims backlogs. 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Adding on PIP is separate and you don’t need to notify them of work. It has no impact by earnings and savings whatsoever.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hello there @Em28 and thanks for reaching out on the community yesterday.

I hope the above replies have been helpful for you as I know it can be difficult to talk about things when we're struggling. As has been mentioned, PIP isn't means tested, so any work you do won't affect the award you claim. 

I'm really sorry to hear that you're in difficult circumstances and are feeling very depressed. Sometimes just talking about this can be a positive step forward. Have you spoken to anyone, perhaps even your GP, about what's been happening, and how it's making you feel?

Can I ask what support (if any) you're getting at the moment for the difficult circumstances you mention, and for your mental health?

If you feel there's anything further we can do to help support you, then please let us know :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Em28
    Em28 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hello, 

I have been suffering with my mental health for 18 or more years, and I used to work but now I just can't cope with it and now I will potentially lose my home on top of everything as my ex wants to sell and I cannot afford this property on my own. I am not getting any support at the moment for my mental health, only pip but no councilling as it is not affordable. 

• bluefox
    bluefox Community member Posts: 636 Pioneering
    Options
    Em28 said:
    Hello, 

I have been suffering with my mental health for 18 or more years, and I used to work but now I just can't cope with it and now I will potentially lose my home on top of everything as my ex wants to sell and I cannot afford this property on my own. I am not getting any support at the moment for my mental health, only pip but no councilling as it is not affordable. 

Have you tried the counselling directory? Sometimes there are counsellors who offer discounted rates for those on benefits. 

Also any mental health charities close to you, as sometimes students will offer free counselling to the public to gain experience. 

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Em28 how are things this week?

Thanks for explaining how things have been for you in more detail. It's not always easy to talk about our struggles, but the community is a supportive and friendly place, so I'm glad you feel able to reach out. It's lovely to see @bluefox sharing a resource that they've found helpful too, I hope it's useful for you. 

If you just need to talk things through there's plenty of organisations you can contact, including Samaritans, who you can call on 116 123. If you need someone to listen and not to judge, the team do a fantastic job. And you don't need to be at crisis point to chat with them. 

If you'd prefer to be supported by text when you might be feeling overwhelmed, text "SHOUT" to 85258 for help 24/7.

The mental health charity Mind also has a great number of resources, advice and guidance on living with and managing your mental health, so please do have a browse when you can.  

Have you spoken to your GP about the impact of your mental health day to day, and whether they might be able to make a referral on your behalf? 

I'm sorry to hear that your ex wanting to sell might leave you in a potentially harmful situation. Have you talked with them about whether there's anything to do which can help with your worries around affordability? Getting in touch with Shelter might be helpful, just to get an idea of what support, help and information is out there. 

If there's anything we can do to help further, please don't hesitate to ask, we are here to help support you :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.