New here and needing some advice.

Options
creamcrackered
creamcrackered Scope Member Posts: 38 Contributor
Hi, I'm 41 and too unwell to work. I live with my partner (not Married) he owns his house and pays our bills. I was at full time Uni when I fell unwell and to my horror found out that my NI wasn't credited and that I am not entitled to ESA even though I have 18 years NI paid prior to studying! Fyi I was on ESA credits only last year but changed to UC for at least some money help but its only a small amount. With PIP I have a total income of £340 a month. I'd like to have a pension and savings as without these I have nothing for rent or my future if anything happens to my partner. What can I do to help gain some financial security, is there anything at all? I find this all so distressing, like i'm dumped from society!

Comments

• racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Empowering
    Options
     I'd like to have a pension and savings as without these I have nothing for rent or my future if anything happens to my partner. What can I do to help gain some financial security, is there anything at all? I find this all so distressing, like i'm dumped from society!

I'm sure that all women in any relationship would love to have comprehensive financial security away from her partner.
    Unfortunately, for the majority this would not happen. For a start any means tested benefit claim would always be based on joint income.
    The way to have your own pension is for you to contribute into one in your own name. As for savings a job could provide you with the possibility of savings.

A woman in a relationship in the UK is not treated as a single person. It's not that many years ago when a 'married' women was treated as a chattel of her husband (he owned her). In fact, she was not allowed to take out a mortgage or enter into any financial agreement - her husband had to sign for her.
    We have come a long way since then and if you want a single life then you should stay single.

• creamcrackered
    Options
    @raceguy I'm shocked at such old fashioned attitude.
    Firstly, the DWP aim to support people's independence and the ability to save but they've missed us students out! Any student who falls sick after their degree and who didnt earn £200 a week while studying is in my position.
    Secondly, most people I know who don't have a joint mortgage and live with their partner (unmarried) would put something aside in case the worst happens. That's their security.
    Thirdly, Married couples share the house if they separate or can take over the mortgage in the event of a death. I don't have those securities nor does my PIP income allow me enough to save. I didn't get chance of any job after Uni and before I got sick now not only have I had my income taken away I've also lost a way to set up a pension for my future too.
    I was asking as surely there's a way a person of ill health can have some options to support themselves. I could just move out to be entitled to more but then I'd be taking a council house. I want to avoid that and surely it's fraud if we're still together.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Empowering
    Options
    @raceguy I'm shocked at such old fashioned attitude.
    Firstly, the DWP aim to support people's independence and the ability to save but they've missed us students out! Any student who falls sick after their degree and who didnt earn £200 a week while studying is in my position.
    Secondly, most people I know who don't have a joint mortgage and live with their partner (unmarried) would put something aside in case the worst happens. That's their security.
    Thirdly, Married couples share the house if they separate or can take over the mortgage in the event of a death. I don't have those securities nor does my PIP income allow me enough to save. I didn't get chance of any job after Uni and before I got sick now not only have I had my income taken away I've also lost a way to set up a pension for my future too.
    I was asking as surely there's a way a person of ill health can have some options to support themselves. I could just move out to be entitled to more but then I'd be taking a council house. I want to avoid that and surely it's fraud if we're still together.
    Yes, it is old fashioned but very true. Women in a relationship still must make a means tested benefit claim using their husband's financial circumstances.
    It is still said in many quarters that the woman must still look to her husband/partner for her security. Unfortunately, it's a man's world.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Raceguy, I really don’t understand why you are casting this as a female dependency issue. The fact is that means tested benefits for couples are always based on joint circumstances regardless. Nor are your comments helping the OP with their concerns.

OP, it’s difficult to comment further without greater clarity over your circumstances.

As I understand it, you are receiving PIP and have a joint UC claim. Can you confirm, have you been assessed for LCW/LCWRA for UC? If your PIP includes Daily Living does your partner claim the carer element of UC for looking after you?

You say that you were not credited NI from work. That is not correct, unfortunately However a ESA claim only looks at recent years of NI and because you had been studying you obviously failed the test for contribution based ESA.

As regards pension, you will have had NI contributions from when you were working and you are now getting NI credits as a UC claimant. This means that you are building up future State Pension entitlement. That future entitlement is yours as an individual.
  • creamcrackered
    Options
    @racyguy I take your point.
    @calcotti thank you. We get UC with lcwra and carers but it's not enough. My partner thinks he can do overtime instead (though it'll be less care for me) i think the trouble is we've not been together long and had all of this hit us hard. If i only knew the ESA ruling i would never have left my job and done Uni part time instead. Silly me for planning for a better future, benefits didn't even occur to me! I guess that's hindsight. Anyway back to pensions.... I've since found out from another place that the best pension for low income individuals is a Stakeholder pension. It's one where you can pay in as and when you can without a penalty, and anyone (family etc) can pay into it too. You receive tax relief too even when you don't pay tax. I need to check this out more but sounds perfect for my needs. I just hope my PIP renews so I can pay into it. On that note I'll stop there as that brings on more angst.
    Thank you for your time.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    Options
    creamcrackered said:..If i only knew the ESA ruling i would never have left my job and done Uni part time instead.
    Obviously you didn’t plan to become ill so you made your appropriate decisions at the time (as we all do).

Glad to know that LCWRA and carer element are included in the maximum amount.

If your partner earns then the first £557/month will be ignored. A deduction of 55% of anything over this will be deducted from the UC.