Ideas for keeping warm this winter — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ideas for keeping warm this winter

Options
jose679
jose679 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi Everyone,
I purchased an Oodie  for £59.00 a couple of days ago.Recommended by Martin Lewis for helping keep warm because of high electric and gas bills. I am old and disabled, from ordering from fim to delivery took only x2 days and no postage or packaging fees if you live in UK. I tried it outside yesterday it was very cold and windy up here in Yorkshire and was amazed I was so hot in it.I am only 5'2" tall,so the Oodie was down covering my mid shin. The sizes are all XXXL,they come in various coloure's ,they are  made for men ,women and children .I look a a bit of a ...... but who cares I say,I sat watching TV last pm in it and I was toastie warm.Would be great for someone who uses a wheelchair too.
Best wishes to all.

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hi @jose679. Ooh, I do love oodies! They are warm and cuddly.

What type of oodie do you have? Mine is pink and a Tesco's special!  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,690 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Never heard of an Oodie but it sounds nice!

I was going to say £59 seems like a lot but I guess that's nothing compared to what the fuel bills could be.

I like snuggly things as well so might have to look into getting one :D 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I brought mine years ago. It was a lot cheaper than they probably are right now with everyone wanting one!

However, some shops will still be selling them at a reduced price. Good luck  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • jose679
    Options
    @L_Volunteer and @66Mustang,
    I got a pink one,but am going to order a turquoise one at a later date,so when one in wash and other can be worn. I recommend 66Mustang ,you won't regret it.IThe other thing is too,I never ever leave electrical appliance's on stand by mode,(this would be a bit hard for people with wheelchairs etc!,so my heart goes out to them) I'm a bit obsessed now I'm afraid but up to press it's saving me some money.
    Best wishes
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    Ooh, that's a really good idea @jose679. One to wash and one to be worn!  :)

• jamrumples
    jamrumples Community member Posts: 112 Connected
    Options
    High tog quilts. Blankets. Thermals. Dressing gowns, slippers. Hot water bottles. (Boil your kettle the once, place left over boiling water into a flask and fill up again once your water bottle has gone cold) saves boiling twice. Same with cups of tea and coffee throughout the day. Flask the water, onesie’s. That’s all I can think of. 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We still have the lads sleeping bags (when they fished over night) i'm thinking of using them in the day - help keep my feet warm. x
  • jose679
    Options
    @SueHeath,
    Besides getting an Oodie,I have asked a dressmaker to make me a jacket(with hood) trousers and boots/like socks made from a sleeping bag material,so your idea great too !.I watched a girl making something similar on you tube.
    All best wishes

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    what a great idea @jose679 i love to see these recycled ideas.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,801 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Quilts warm blankets, sox, hotdrinks. 
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    That sounds like my list of things too @Sandy_123 :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.