I have my pip assessment for adhd next week — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have my pip assessment for adhd next week

Options
rinbeans
rinbeans Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited September 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all
My name is Rin. I'm 43 years old, and was diagnosed with adhd when living in Jersey, however, I left the island soon after and don't have my paperwork. My GP has now referred me to Psychiatry UK for support and assessment. 
I was not diagnosed as a child but even my mum says my diagnosis makes perfect sense to her. 
Although I've wholly had a successful adult life, it's been a massive struggle due to my adhd symptoms. Especially with work and managing finances. 
I had a successful career as a social worker but I always struggled with my organisation and professional boundaries which has led to me being suspended from practice. I was too friendly apparently 😳. Doesn't matter that I was very successful in helping families. Anyway, since then, I've lost four jobs in a year. Poor time management and organisation mainly. 
So I decided to apply for PIP. I'm not sure how getting extra money would help at this point but as someone who has never claimed benefits before now I kinda think I am entitled to it so should. 
I applied in May and have had four telephone assessments cancelled so far. I've got my next one on Monday 26th Sept. I'm just wondering if anyone has good advice for me. 
I've also been suffering from anxiety and depression and ptsd due to a traumatic childhood. I'm really worried about the assessment and feel that I will be tripped up by the assessor

TIA

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @rinbeans :) I like your username! How are you doing today?

Are you receiving any support to help you manage your PTSD, ADHD, depression, and anxiety? 

It sounds like managing work has been tough for you in the past. Have you ever looked into getting reasonable adjustments (Scope)? 

Please also remember that PIP isn't about your ability to work. You could look into claiming the LCWRA element of Universal Credit (Citizens Advice) if you're eligible. 
    have had four telephone assessments cancelled so far
    This sounds like a nightmare! Do you know why they've been cancelled so many times?

In terms of advice for your PIP assessment, I'd say one thing to remember is to take your time when answering the questions, and to ask them to repeat the question if you didn't hear or understand it properly the first time around.

Did you keep a copy of your forms? If so, some people find it helpful to have that in front of them during the call. Don't worry if not though.

It can be good to make sure you have a few real world examples for each of the relevant descriptors prepared. You can remind yourself of the descriptors on pipinfo.net

Ensure that your phone is fully charged, and that you have the ringtone set to 'loud' so that you don't accidentally miss the call. 

Some people also find it comforting to have someone sit with them during the call. 

You might also want to consider having a drink and snack with you, as the calls can sometimes be reasonably long.

The assessor should be polite and respectful.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • rinbeans
    Options
    Hi Tori
    Thank you. Rinbeans is a name given to me because of my bouncy bean personality 🤣
    Thank you for your comprehensive advice. Its really helpful. I was not aware of that element of universal credit. I'll look into it. 
    The appts have been cancelled due to staff sickness apparently. Really annoying as it's dragged my application beyond the advised six month period. 
    I will keep you posted how I get on. 
    Much love x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,476 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    rinbeans said:
     I was not aware of that element of universal credit. I'll look into it. 

LCWRA is part of UC, which is a means tested benefit that replaced all the old legacy benefits such as Income Related ESA/JSA/Income Support/Tax credits and housing benefit. If you don't already claim it whether you're entitled will depend on your circumstances. If you live with a partner you claim as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration.
    If you already claim one of the above benefits then a claim for UC will end those. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rinbeans
    Options
    Thank you Poppy. I will have a look as I wasn't aware this was an option
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My partner sometimes calls herself a 'runner bean' if she's feeling a bit bouncy @rinbeans :D 

That's certainly frustrating about the appointments, but hopefully this one will go ahead without any hitches! 

Let us know how you get on when looking into UC. It can be a bit confusing and overwhelming at first, but we're here to support you :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • rinbeans
    Options
    Haha brilliant. I think the fact I was called rinbeans (the rin bit comes from my name ka(rin) us sheer proof of my adhd. I've always struggled with sitting still. 
    Thanks again. It's really good to have support x 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing a little more with us about what you are experiencing @rinbeans. I appreciate that's not always easy. 

We are all here to support you. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Gee23
    Gee23 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    @rinbeans Hi. i have my assessment coming up this week. Did you have yours and how did it go
  • Redhead9270
    Redhead9270 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi I'm new on here I wish I had joined sooner. I had my asessment on the 10 th Nov. I was asked if I could slice cucumber. She lso said I get that your not well but I have to get on with it. I have had a message to say they haven't made a decision yet. I have various medical conditions. I wish all who are waiting for PIP get a good outcome.
  • Gee23
    Gee23 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi @redhead53 that’s really sad to hear they would say that! what kind of questions do they ask, do they go over the same from your form? 
  • Redhead9270
    Redhead9270 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Yes they do ask the questions on the form . I was taking advice on this and was told to report her. She was maybe having a bad day.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.