Carers Allowance and work commitments — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Allowance and work commitments

Options
kan
kan Community member Posts: 15 Listener
edited September 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
My wife receives carers Allowance, so what are her work commitments?

I receive pip enhanced rate and we are both on universal credit.

Is carers Allowance taxed?
Tagged:

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Does she receive Carers Element on top of your overall UC too? Being a carer she won’t have any work related commitments. Yes the actual Carers Allowance is taxable.
  • kan
    Options
    I don't understand - carers elements on top of UC too?

We receive following
    Universal credit
    Carers Allowance wife
    Pip enhanced rate for me
  • kan
    Options
    I mean to clarify she cares after me and she / we ? Receive carers Allowance.
  • bg844
    Options
    Carers Allowance is deducted £1 for £1 off your UC entitlement (£302.03 a month), as a carer if you claim Universal Credit you can also claim something called a Carer’s Element of £168.81. Please check your statement to see if you are receiving this.
  • kan
    Options
    I was under impression that if my wife cares after me and receives carers Allowance then she should have no work commitments?

• bg844
    Options
    If it’s not showing your wife needs to log in to her account and do a change of circumstances. Once logged in click on ‘change of circumstances’ and then ‘caring for someone’. She will then be required to enter your details and when it asks when she started caring put the date you was awarded PIP from. Leave a note under payments on your journal and ask if they would backdate the Carer’s Element as she didn’t know she was entitled. They might not backdate but always worth asking.
  • bg844
    Options
    As a carer you don’t have any work commitments. I am trying to see if you are owed extra money.
  • kan
    Options
    I'm confused.

So carers Allowance gives you X amount but takes away the same amount?
  • kan
    Options
    Also shouldn't the work coach know she is in receipt of carers Allowance?

Is it correct to state that if she is receiving carers Allowance for looking after me then she has no work commitments. 
  • bg844
    Options
    @kan Your wife needs to complete that step I have said above. She will no longer have to attend any appointments if she does already and won’t have any commitments related to work. You will also be financially better off too.
  • kan
    Options
    How would you apply for carers elements on top of universal credit?

Where can we go for a benefits assessment to see if we are being paid the correct amount.
  • kan
    Options
    Thank you for that, I will ask her to follow through with that and update.

The system is so opaque at times.
  • bg844
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Make sure she asks if they will backdate too.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The claim the carers element your wife needs to report a change of circumstances and tell them she's caring for you for at least 35 hours per week. Once this is done they will add the careres element onto your maximum UC entitlement. UC is one benefit made up of various elements.
    As a carer she will not have any work commiments.
    Have you reported a health condition for yourself and sent in fit notes to start the work capability assessment off? If you haven't then you need to do this. A PIP award doesn't automatically entitle you to limited capability for work.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.