Insomnia — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Insomnia

Options
Phillfroggy
Phillfroggy Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
edited September 2022 in Coffee lounge
Hiya scope community 🙂

I suffer a lot with insomnia.. every time I find something new that helps me sleep better it only lasts for a few days then it’s like someone hits the reset button and it starts again. I suffer with Sleep apnoea also sell any kind of medical or herbal remedies I can’t use. Anybody else with a similar situation what do you find helps you sleep or sleep longer any advice will be greatly appreciated thank you.
Tagged:

Comments

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Hiya scope community 🙂

I suffer a lot with insomnia.. every time I find something new that helps me sleep better it only lasts for a few days then it’s like someone hits the reset button and it starts again. I suffer with Sleep apnoea also sell any kind of medical or herbal remedies I can’t use. Anybody else with a similar situation what do you find helps you sleep or sleep longer any advice will be greatly appreciated thank you.
    Hi,

I`ve had an atrocious sleep pattern all my life. As a child it took me ages to get to sleep but, when I did fall asleep, I was out all night.  As I got older, that reversed; I could fall asleep mid-conversation but had a very restlness night afterwards.  I usually only got about 4 hours sleep a night.

Then I was prescribed 30mg Amitriptyline (to be taken at night) for my back.  I`m now out like a light and regularly have 8 or 9 hours sleep.  This does come with a cost though (certainly in my case); Amitriptyline makes me groggy the day after.

Andy

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling with insomnia and sleep apnoea @Phillfroggy. Have you been referred to a sleep clinic?

Have you ever tried 'sleep hygeine' techniques? I know that these can only do so much, but I've found them helpful when I've experienced sleep problems in the past.
    sell any kind of medical or herbal remedies I can’t use
    Just so I understand, do you mean that you sell on any medicines that you no longer use?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Phillfroggy
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling with insomnia and sleep apnoea @Phillfroggy. Have you been referred to a sleep clinic?

Have you ever tried 'sleep hygeine' techniques? I know that these can only do so much, but I've found them helpful when I've experienced sleep problems in the past.
    sell any kind of medical or herbal remedies I can’t use
    Just so I understand, do you mean that you sell on any medicines that you no longer use?
    Hi tori no that’s a typo  was meant to say with sleep apnea aswell I can’t take sleeping tablets or herbal medication that puts you to sleep . I wouldn’t dream ( irony as that would require sleep lol ) of giving away medication never mind sell it … the only tablets I have left over each month is sometimes Samatrpram and I take these back to the chemist when I’m issued new ones and they dispose of them safely … yes I have to go to to the sleep clinic in November at my hospital… hopefully they can help .. do you have more information about sleep hygiene please. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    ada said:
    I been on  Amitriptyline X2 for many years but they only gave me a night sleep for a couple months. I still take them but they only give me x2 hours. 
    I have to keep a podcast in my ear loud to drown out my thoughts. 
    I do that on bad nights with music <3 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying @Phillfroggy :) I just wanted to check!

There's lots of information about sleep hygiene out there, but here's some from the Sleep Foundation. Making small changes to your habits, and forcing yourself to stick to a routine, can really help. I know from personal experience it can be pretty unpleasant at first, especially waking up at the same time regardless of when you got to sleep, but I've found it helps in the long run.

It's good that you've got an appointment with the sleep clinic coming up! How are you feeling about it?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Phillfroggy
    Options
    @Tori_Scope hiya I’ve been trying a few things suggested while reading up on sleep hygiene and I’ve noticed a small change but obviously only just starting so will take a while to get a routine… I turn my tv off and limit my phone activity to replying to messages or calls only instead of scrolling endlessly through twitter or TikTok . Thanks for the advice 🙂

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.