If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MR help/advice please

Options
lou54321
lou54321 Community member Posts: 35 Connected
Hi everyone hoping someone can give me some advice please :smile:  

I wish that I had found this forum before I completed my PIP2 form, but hey ho. 

I have been awarded PIP, reasonably happy I got standard daily living (10 points) and enhanced mobility (24 points). 

A couple of the descriptors I don’t think are right for the daily living. I actually need physical help to get in and out of the bath and I can’t get in or out without this every time, and another couple that I don’t feel are representative of my struggles. 

I don’t want to appear greedy or rock the boat. I actually spoke with my case manager who encouraged me to complete an MR, he also said that it would go back to him and I wouldn’t be risking my current award. Does anyone know if this info is correct please?  

I know that MR are only 27% successful, and I don’t think I will go to tribunal stage, but just wondered if anyone able to offer any words of wisdom please?

Thank you in advance, this forum has been a great source of support for me during the PIP process. 

Comments

• Tishat121
    Tishat121 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    I scored 12 for mobility and 7 for daily living - I put in a MR and I had a phone call today advising that daily would be added she was just finishing her review. I would definitely put in for MR. You were 2 points off the enhanced rate. If you can dispute each descriptor and refer it back to the medical evidence ect. Also I had my mum write me a letter about how she helps me daily. 
  • lou54321
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, I’m really pleased your MR went well!  I’m just very worried that I could risk the current award, I really don’t want to do that!  :smile:
  • nasturtium
    nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering
    edited September 2022
    Options
    "I actually need physical help to get in and out of the bath and I can’t get in or out without this every time"
    If you need physical help then that means someone is with you each time you need to take a bath to give you that help. If you do submit a Mandatory Reconsideration then I would advise you ask the person who gives you that phusical help to write you a supporting letter and ask them to describe in detail what help they give you and a detailed observation of the help you need with your daily living if they see you for the majority of days. They would need to say how they know/relaited to you and how often they see you or give you help or assistance.

"I actually spoke with my case manager who encouraged me to complete an MR, he also said that it would go back to him and I wouldn’t be risking my current award."
    I think I am correct when I say this (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong) but when you do a Mandatory Reconsideration they look at the whole award again and they can either increase the amount of points you get or they can take points away but that does not happen often and is rare. Normally at MR stage the percentage of awards that are changed is low and the award stays the same and you have to apply to appeal.

If you are worried then I would contact your local benefits advice center which you can find here for further advice before you start your Mandatory Reconsideration. https://advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits

Hope this helps.
    Nasturtium

How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285
  • lou54321
    Options
    Hi Nasturtium, thank you so much for your reply :smile:

Even with grab rails etc my husband has to physically help me, get in the bath lower down, then help get me up afterwards, I am just unable to manage without his help now. 

I think you are correct saying that they look at the whole award again, that is why I am concerned about the case manager telling me and I quote “it definitely won’t go down” 😬. 

It’s so hard to know what to do, I am inclined to not rock the boat. 

Thank you again 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When requesting the MR a different decision maker will look at your claim again. You should point out that you're happy with the mobility part and are just challenging the daily living part.  The most likely outcome is the decision will remain the same.
    It's possible to score points for needing assisstance, whether you receive that assisstance or not. Whether you could score points for this will depend on your reasons why an aid would not be helpful and you need to tell them why.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lou54321
    Options
    That’s exactly what I thought Poppy12345. The case manager I spoke to said it would go back to him? Also that I wouldn’t lose my current award. I think I need to take what he has told me with a pinch of salt. 

I definitely do need the help, I’ve had quite a few slips/falls even with assistance, and grab rail. There are also a couple of other descriptors that I didn’t feel were reflective of the help I require. 

Thank you for your advice, really appreciate it 😊
  • nasturtium
    nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering
    edited September 2022
    Options
    "thank you so much for your reply"
    You are very welcome @lou54321 I hope what ever you decide to do it works out for you.
    How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You need to look at whether the issues you wish to raise will result in an increased point score.
    If you have been treated as needing grab rails you will have been given 2 points for washing and bathing. If that is changed to needing help from another person to get in or out of a bath then that would change to 3 points so one extra point. 

In some activities different scoring outcomes result in the same actual score based but for different reasons. 

The first task therefore is to check that the changes you are asking for would, if accepted, result in at least 2 extra points to get you to an enhanced award. Unless that is the case there is no point in requesting an MR.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • lou54321
    Options
    Calcotti - you’re dead right. There’s a couple more I don’t agree with but I’m not confident that I would get an increase of points on.  The one I can provide proof and evidence is the bath/shower - and it would only be an increase of 1 point putting me on 11 points, so would still be standard living anyway.  Thanks so much. I think I’m going to leave things as they are. Thanks everyone for your advice, it’s helped me a lot :smile: 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @lou54321. It is the very least you deserve. If we can do anything else to help please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.