If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Idea for new device or technology for people with special needs/children with disabilities

Options
curious_girl
curious_girl Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited September 2022 in Start here and say hello!
For the parents/siblings of a physical and/or mentally handicapped person, or as a person that has disabilities and/or is a part of the spectrum do you need a new device that will help you and make your life easier in some way and what kind of device should that be? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,046 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have physical disabilities, my daughter has ASD and a learning disability. We are definitely not "handicapped." I'm sorry but that's such a horrible word to use and is mostly not heard of these days. "disabled" is a much better word. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inclusive-communication/inclusive-language-words-to-use-and-avoid-when-writing-about-disability

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • curious_girl
    Options
    I have physical disabilities, my daughter has ASD and a learning disability. We are definitely not "handicapped." I'm sorry but that's such a horrible word to use and is mostly not heard of these days. "disabled" is a much better word. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inclusive-communication/inclusive-language-words-to-use-and-avoid-when-writing-about-disability

I'm really sorry for my use of words, English isn't my first language and that's why such a mistake was made because we have another words here and the translation was like that. I know you are definitely not "handicapped" and thank you for letting me know that I made such a huge mistake. Once again, our team just wanted to help somehow and didn't want to hurt anyone, I'm really sorry about this and I'll be more careful in future to not use such horrible word.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,046 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for coming back to explain and i'm sorry if i sounded rude, that wasn't my intention. Also welcome to the community.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @curious_girl and welcome to the community, and thank you for taking on board the information Poppy has shared around language and disability :)

You might also like to have a look at Scope's page on the Social Model of Disability, which is a way of viewing the world, developed by disabled people.

Out of interest, you've mentioned your team wanting to help, can you explain a little more about who you are, and what you do? 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • curious_girl
    Options
    Hello @curious_girl and welcome to the community, and thank you for taking on board the information Poppy has shared around language and disability :)

You might also like to have a look at Scope's page on the Social Model of Disability, which is a way of viewing the world, developed by disabled people.

Out of interest, you've mentioned your team wanting to help, can you explain a little more about who you are, and what you do? 
    Thank you for letting me be a part of this community and I'm again sorry for the mistake that was made. We are just few enthusiastic students that want to create something new like a new device or something else that might be useful for people with disabilities and kind of to help them and make the thing that they want to do easier than it's now, we want to know if anyone has something in mind like "Oh I wish I could have this or that, I wish such a device and/or an app/technology existed." So we are open to ideas like that,that might give us inspiration to make something useful and new that will help them. I hope I won't offend anyone with my choice of words again and I'm sorry in advance for any mistakes because English isn't my first language. If our team can somehow help people around the world,we would be so happy to be a part of that.
  • curious_girl
    Options
    Thank you for coming back to explain and i'm sorry if i sounded rude, that wasn't my intention. Also welcome to the community.
    You didn't sound rude and it's actually very important to tell people if they do something wrong like I did and teach them how to do it right. Thank you for letting me know about my mistake so that now I know which words to use and to not hurt anyone's feelings with my choice of words ever again. Also,thank you for welcoming me in this community. ❤️

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.