Advice-attachment issues — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice-attachment issues

Options
and15
and15 Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
Hello everyone

I would welcome any advice on how to help my 5 Yr old whom has Asd.
In addition to her Asd she has had numerous periods of time in hospital due to physical conditions requiring extensive surgery and immobilization between the ages of 1 and 4 which has meant she has attachment issues.
Have any other parents/carers experienced similar amd if so what advice can you give me.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @and15. You have been really brave sharing this with us. I can hear that things are tough at the moment for you and your daughter. 

Unfortunately, I am not a parent/carer so cannot provide you with the support you are looking for. Hopefully, parents/carers will be able to respond to you soon.

In the meantime, we are all here listening to you if you would like to talk about this further. You don't have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don't want to  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • and15
    Options
    Thank you L_volunteer I am hopeful someone may have some ecologically valid advice rather than the make up and mend efforts suggested by professionals which so far hsve actually made things worse
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Hi @and15 How are you and your daughter today?

I'm sorry the input you've had from professionals hasn't been helpful so far, it can definitely help to hear from those who have 'walked a mile in your shoes' and been through the same. I'm wondering if it'd be useful to connect with caregivers of children with the same physical condition as your daughter, would you be able to share a little more about what condition(s) she has as that will help us better locate some suitable organisations?

Also, have you explored the Children and Young People's Mental Health Service option via a referral by your GP? If this is something you have explored and been dissatisfied with, it may be worth considering asking for a second opinion and/or speaking with your GP about any other services available. If this is an avenue you have already exhausted, then my apologies - I can only imagine how frustrating that is.

I hope you're both doing as well as possible. Take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • and15
    Options
    Hi Cher_scope thank you for your response,sadly the camhs intervention does little to help if anything and her physical complications are very rare,I hsve spoken to some parents from other parts of the world and they only share the same frustrations.

I guess like many parents it's just a case of battling on
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @and15 Ah that's a shame, I'm sorry to hear it. Scope does offer some free services that might be of benefit. One that stands out in my mind is Parents Connect which you can refer yourself to online. This involves group sessions with other parents/carers and is:

... a free 6-week programme, supporting parents and carers of young disabled people. We help parents and carers improve their wellbeing. 
    Eligibility
    The service is for parents and carers who are:
    • aged 18 or over
    • the parent or carer of a child with additional needs, between the age of 0 and 18. You do not need a diagnosis.
    • living in England or Wales
    There are other Family services that Scope offers which you might want to explore, to see if they would be beneficial for you and your daughter.

Wishing you both all the best and if ever you need to talk to someone, we're here 24/7. Take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.