Talking tape measure — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Talking tape measure

Options
jaknit
jaknit Community member Posts: 30 Connected
edited October 2022 in Sensory impairments
I sew and have to measure all the time as a visually impaired person with ataxia it is quite the faff to measure accurately. I have experimented with a standard retractable steel measure and have a way to use with fabric. I am looking at one from Cobolt through RNIB. Any feedback on whether it's worth the outlay would be appreciated.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @jaknit and thanks for your query, do you sew for pleasure or necessity? :)

I'm afraid I don't have experience of the tape measure you mention through RNIB, I'm not visually impaired myself. To help our members who might know more to share their thoughts, I've marked your post as unanswered for now.

I hope you're enjoying your evening, and if do get that measure, let us know your review!

Alex 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • jaknit
    Options
    Pleasure but it helps my mental well-being so from that point of view necessary. There doesn't seem to be a lot of users or users don't frequent social media I'm coming up empty on Facebook as well, mondering if it's a new product 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    I see @jaknit thanks for explaining :) I'm glad it helps with your mental wellbeing. Perhaps it is a new product yes.

You've mentioned experimenting in the past, would a tactile tape measure be a suitable (less pricey) alternative?
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• jaknit
    Options
    No I insist on doing things that need to be accurate to 1\16th of an inch or couple of mm.  I am my own worst enemy. I am going to check vendor return policy and give it a try. Yesterday I spent hours wandering around with a steel measure locked at 97cm.Thank you for the help. If it works I will post on this thread 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    You're very welcome @jaknit, and I'm sure I'd be the same if I sewed as I like to be precise :) 

I'd love to know how you get one with it, and I'm sure it'd be really helpful for any member who visits the forum in a similar situation too. 

Hope you enjoy your weekend, whatever you're up to!
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.