Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Carers element

Options
loccy
loccy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
I’ve been caring for my husband since January 2019 but have just found out that I can get carers element of uc as it’s down on uc that I’m a carer for this person will it be backdated from when I first applied January 2019 uc didn’t know why I hadn’t been paid any money

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,976 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can only claim carers element if your husband is either in receipt of PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. 
    If he does then you need to report a change of circumstances and tell them you care for him for at least 35 hours per week. 
    You must also not be claiming the LCWRA element for yourself because you can’t claim both elements together. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mrsj42
    mrsj42 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited September 2022
    Options
    My daughter is my carer and on u.c, she claims both carers and carers element. What she loses through u.c through deductions, she makes up for with the carers element payment. They don’t widely advertise it according to the person my daughter spoke with so I’m not surprised you didn’t know at first either.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    mrsj42 said:
    My daughter is my carer and on u.c, she claims both carers and carers element. What she loses through u.c through deductions, she makes up for with the carers element payment. They don’t widely advertise it according to the person my daughter spoke with so I’m not surprised you didn’t know at first either.
    The deduction for Carers Allowance is more than the carer element. The total benefit received with the carer element is the same regardless of whether or not Carers Allowance is being claimed.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mrsj42
    mrsj42 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Well when my daughter received her carers allowance, the same amount was then deducted from her universal credit. She spoke with her advisor who told her about carers element. She claimed it, and is now receiving the amount she would have received if she hadn’t had deductions made for claiming carers allowance. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • loccy
    Options
    Ok thanks I don’t claim 
    LCWRA so that will be fine 
  • loccy
    Options
    I’ve got carers element now but if they back date it it’s a mother thing as this has been going on since I first claimed in 2017 
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2022
    Options
    mrsj42 said:
    Well when my daughter received her carers allowance, the same amount was then deducted from her universal credit. She spoke with her advisor who told her about carers element. She claimed it, and is now receiving the amount she would have received if she hadn’t had deductions made for claiming carers allowance. 🤷🏼‍♀️
    Carers allowance is always deducted £1 for £1 from any UC entitlement. 
    You don’t need to claim carers allowance to be entitled to carers element. 
    Her UC amount should still be less because of the CA deductions but her overall benefit entitlement would be the same, even if she didn’t claim carers allowance. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • jamrumples
    jamrumples Community member Posts: 114 Connected
    Options
    @poppy123456 can you be down as someone’s carer but not be forced to claim any carers allowance or element? 

Like someone can change their circumstances on their UC claim to caring for someone for 35 hours a week but not claim anything for it? Just their regular UC amount? 

Or to be seen as a carer you have to have some kind of claim in place? Seems all very unfair to take away money from that person when they are already struggling. But they need the help etc…
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2022
    Options
    It starts to get very confusing when asking questions on other threads. It would be better to stick to your thread for the your questions.
    I think it's unlikely. However if they are caring then they can claim carers element. (providing they are not receiving LCWRA)
    Seems all very unfair to take away money from that person when they are already struggling. But they need the help etc…
    If you are talking about the carers allowance being deducted from the UC then they are not losing anything because they will then be paid the carers allowance separately. As advised, there's no financial gain to claiming Carers allowance at the same time.
    Are they claiming UC as a couple? Is this about yourself or someone else?
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.