Shrivelled up chilli peppers — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Shrivelled up chilli peppers

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,701 Disability Gamechanger
We purchased a chilli plant earlier this year and it has grown several red chillis.

We kept planning on using them, but sadly everyone has been very busy with family health and other goings on that they have now shrivelled up and gone wrinkly.

I'm just wondering whether anyone knows whether they are still OK to use for anything?

I can't get a definitive answer on the internet but I know there are both gardeners and cooks on here so am hoping someone might know.

I guess as a last resort we could take the seeds out and try to grow some more plants next year.

Thanks.

Comments

• Siwheels73
    Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 746 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @66Mustang, yep, do it all the time. Watch out though, as with all the moisture out of the chilli, they can be spicy little beggars! Don't say I didn't warn ya.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I wouldn't have a clue how but I wonder if you can like dry them and stuff? Like you can buy chilli flakes, can you make them into some? 

Was the chilli plant easy to grow??
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Totally random but that video made me wonder, why do we eat the seeds from chilli peppers but don't from normal peppers?? 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks all, that's very much appreciated!! :)

@Biblioklept we purchased it as a plant, not from seed, but it was easy to grow, just water it and that's it! PS that's a good question about the seeds...
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    We purchased a chilli plant earlier this year and it has grown several red chillis.

We kept planning on using them, but sadly everyone has been very busy with family health and other goings on that they have now shrivelled up and gone wrinkly.

I'm just wondering whether anyone knows whether they are still OK to use for anything?

I can't get a definitive answer on the internet but I know there are both gardeners and cooks on here so am hoping someone might know.

I guess as a last resort we could take the seeds out and try to grow some more plants next year.

Thanks.
    Hi,
    If I can throw my pennies worth in....
    I usually grow my own, but 2 years on my own during lock down didn`t really leave me in the right frame of mind to grow them this year.
    They are still fine to use in their condition or you could:
    If you have enough, turn them into a Ristra ((a chilli necklace for want of a description) a bit fiddly, but they make nice features in the kitchen)).
    Take the seeds out and dry them to use next year as you said.  I do this with mine.  I buy the 1st lot of seeds from a reputable company, grow the plants then dry the seeds from a couple of healthy fruit.  If you would like the steps I use, just let me know.
    If you have enough, a chilli jam / chutney / sauce
    As Biblioklept says, you could make chilli flakes from them.  Dry them first (on a radiator, in the oven on a low heat or in a dehydrator if you have one) and then blitz in a blender.  Watch your breathing here - if they are hot chillies, you don`t want the powder up your nose or in your eyes ;)
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    Allergic to chillies, sorry I can’t help. 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    mmmmm chillies lots of good ideas here @66Mustang you can also cut them and put them in oil to flavour it.
    If you leave the seeds in a chilli it makes them hotter, you do have to watch preparing chilli's, if your not used to cutting them you can use plastic gloves, you have to be so careful even the juice can cause burning to some people's skin, never touch your eyes and you men never NEVER go to the toilet for a wee unless you wash your hands first !!!
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Wow, I didn't expect to get so many suggestions, thank you all!! :)

I will let you know what we do with them in the end. :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.