If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I had to give in

Options
jayuk
jayuk Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
edited September 2022 in Cost of living
Well today my heating has gone on as can't bear walking round a cold house.
I have mine on constant but turn boiler down and have thermostats set to 3.
I have done this every year, I dread to think what my bill will be but we can't freeze especially when we have health conditions.

Who has given in and put the heating on ?
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We turn the rads down in rooms we are not using during the day e.g both bedrooms and the hallway and have the boiler on an ECO setting, we use LPG as not on mains gas (too rural) and it's not cheap and the price isn't capped either but we refuse to be cold.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've had mine on a few times, this evening being one of them. My health is worse when it's cold and i won't suffer for anything. It is what it is.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jayuk
    Options
    Reading all your comments makes me so angry as we all have health conditions and we are made to suffer even worse as we need the heat to make things more bareable.

We are already on minimum money and yes we are getting extra money but it's not enough, are monthly money hasn't gone up for food ect.
    What is the world coming too when people who are unable to work and then have to suffer so unfair.

Would like to see the top ones in the government and energy giant's live in are shoes for a month.

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    jayuk said:
    Reading all your comments makes me so angry as we all have health conditions and we are made to suffer even worse as we need the heat to make things more bareable.

We are already on minimum money and yes we are getting extra money but it's not enough, are monthly money hasn't gone up for food ect.
    This sums up my thoughts too!! £150 barely covers the increase in my gas and electric for one month, yet it's supposed to help through the whole of winter. Everything has gone up, my food bill is so much higher than this time last year. Tokenistic one-off payments are not helpful. A permanent increase to benefits is the only way to help people actually make it through. 
  • jayuk
    Options
    jayuk said:

This sums up my thoughts too!! £150 barely covers the increase in my gas and electric for one month, yet it's supposed to help through the whole of winter. Everything has gone up, my food bill is so much higher than this time last year. Tokenistic one-off payments are not helpful. A permanent increase to benefits is the only way to help people actually make it through. 
    I pay £240 a month and dread to think what it's going to go up by.
    I received a message from edf to say I don't need to submit a meter reading for 1 October as I am on a fixed tariff so I'm hoping my direct debit will still stay the same for the time being.

They government really need to sort there **** out and help the people who are vulnerable instead of stressing people out with there assessments. If you have a diagnosis and evidence then stop stress them out putting them through endless assessments, save yourself millions by not employing people who lie and make people more ill.

• elahrairah
    elahrairah Scope Member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    i wouldn't even mind so much if the energy price rises were fair, but the energy companies are raking it in, they've posted record profits!  they've raised prices by far more than they needed to so that they could milk more cash out of us.  its disgusting and immoral.  profiteering from our suffering and blaming it on the cost of living. 
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    Our direct debit is £350 a month now, it’s getting ridiculous. I work part time and don’t claim any benefits, luckily my husband works, but we will get the £60+ a month credit like everyone else. We haven’t put ours on yet, I’m sat here in my fluffy dressing gown and a throw around my shoulders. I knitted everyone in the family thick woolly socks last year and they’ll probably come in use. 
    Most people are struggling and I worry about those that live alone and have nobody to check in on them. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am astonished how much you are paying @jayuk and @Karen7788
    Have you always had high energy bills or is it down to the price increases 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,125 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    £240 and £350 is a huge amount per month! Wow! Last year I was paying £83/month. That increased to £123 and I’ve continued to pay that. I’m in credit too, which is a very good thing. I’ve decided to keep paying this amount despite the Government help and hopefully that will help. 
    Im down on the vulnerable list with my energy supplier and I had a phone call this morning asking me if they could do anything to help with the colder months on our door step. 
    I told her I was very concerned because being cold makes my health condition worse. In previous years I would always keep my heating on from morning till night but am too scared to do that this year. They offered to send me an electric throw free of charge, I instantly took up that offer and thanked her very much! She said I would receive it in the next couple of weeks. Couldn’t thank her enough! 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jayuk
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    I am astonished how much you are paying @jayuk and @Karen7788
    Have you always had high energy bills or is it down to the price increases 
    I've been paying that for the last 2 years so it hasn't increased yet, which I'm dreading.

• Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm £180 for duel fuel.

I changed energy provider from British gas to Octopus energy. BG  wanted me to pay £240 despite being in credit, left and got a nice refund that went straight to Octopus energy account so immediately we were in credit.
    Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    jayuk said:

What is the world coming too when people who are unable to work and then have to suffer so unfair.

Would like to see the top ones in the government and energy giant's live in are shoes for a month.

Likewise, and we are both almost 80. What does really surprise us that if you had lived in the 40's and 50's you would have remembered what being cold actually felt like. One coal fire downstairs with bedrooms that cold that the ice was on the inside of the glass. Toilet consisted of an outhouse in the back yard - you avoided going as best you could.
    Why are we all in this country expecting the government to molly coddle us? Even in the 80's with mortgages at 17% it was either sink or swim - no bail outs from anybody.

We've lived through all of this before and believe me it is not as bad as it was then.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,450 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
         Wow, I can't believe the price some of you have to pay each month. 
  • Karen7788
    Options
    We’ve been paying about £270 per month for a couple of years but now it’s £350 @janer1967
    I do feel the cold and tend to have the fire or the heating on, I also like a hot bath as it helps with pain. We also have two guests staying with us at the moment and they eat different types of food and meals than us and work different shifts so it’s double use of the oven, cooker and other electric equipment. 
    We are trying to cut down a bit but it is difficult due to communication issues and we don’t want them to get the wrong end of the stick. 

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Karen7788 I didn't mean for you to explain reason why we all have different needs and I understand your situation is quite unique 
  • Karen7788
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    @Karen7788 I didn't mean for you to explain reason.

No worries, typing the reasons kind of helps me to understand more why it was so high.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.