Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024


Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Which (self propelled) Wheelchair ?

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,776 Pioneering
I need a self propelled wheelchair - My current model is too heavy and I am unable to move it myself - although it is made from alloy and has big wheels..
When I try - I just sit there moving a few inches back and forwards
I see people on TV zooming around in wheelchairs and wonder how they do it ?
What should I be looking for ?
And what should I avoid ?
Any advice welcome
I will be paying for it myself - unless an NHS voucher is obtainable ?
Is a wheelchair budget dependant on savings ?
«1

Comments

  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

    It's almost impossible to get the vouchers you can read up about the eligibility on line 

    Wheelchair services offer different range of chairs dependant on which type they feel is most suitable 

    Personally I purchased my own chair after having trouble with them not listening to my needs 

    I bought it online happy to pm you the company 

    It is a very personal choice so I would recommend you visit a mobility shop to try out what you need 

    Mine is very light weight it's a igo air rex lt and it comes in different seat sizes 

    I can't zoom around either but it is great in the house and on flat surfaces.  Zooming around is for the very fit and strong 

    Consider a chair with power I have electric folding chair for outside 
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,776 Pioneering
    edited September 2022
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there 

    It's almost impossible to get the vouchers you can read up about the eligibility on line 

    Wheelchair services offer different range of chairs dependant on which type they feel is most suitable 

    Personally I purchased my own chair after having trouble with them not listening to my needs 

    I bought it online happy to pm you the company 

    It is a very personal choice so I would recommend you visit a mobility shop to try out what you need 

    Mine is very light weight it's a igo air rex lt and it comes in different seat sizes 

    I can't zoom around either but it is great in the house and on flat surfaces.  Zooming around is for the very fit and strong 

    Consider a chair with power I have electric folding chair for outside 

    Well - Until last year, I would have classed myself as reasonably strong - not fit though
    how heavy is your electric folder ?
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,776 Pioneering
    Options
    I fancy the Excel G-Lite pro
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The electric one is quite heavy don't know exactly what it weighs 
    .you can get battery packs for manual chairs 

    Its a big investment so as advised go visit z mobility shop and try out a few 
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,776 Pioneering
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    The electric one is quite heavy don't know exactly what it weighs 
    .you can get battery packs for manual chairs 

    Its a big investment so as advised go visit z mobility shop and try out a few 
    Will do thanks
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,982 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck @Wibbles. How are you finding things at the moment?

    We are all here for you if you need any support or want to talk things through further with us  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • JessB
    JessB Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    I fancy the Excel G-Lite pro
    Hi,

    I currently have the Excel G-Logic which after a quick google looks like a very similar chair. I would recommend it with a hint of caution. I have been using this chair most of the time when I am out of the house and have noticed that the way it makes you sit can cause some lower back pain. It would depend on how much you use it, however, if you are looking into using it long-term and for a high amount of time during the day I would consider looking at other chairs.
    Jess
    They/Them
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,776 Pioneering
    Options
    JessB said:
    Wibbles said:
    I fancy the Excel G-Lite pro
    Hi,

    I currently have the Excel G-Logic which after a quick google looks like a very similar chair. I would recommend it with a hint of caution. I have been using this chair most of the time when I am out of the house and have noticed that the way it makes you sit can cause some lower back pain. It would depend on how much you use it, however, if you are looking into using it long-term and for a high amount of time during the day I would consider looking at other chairs.

    Were you measured up for this chair - or did you order it on-line ?
  • JessB
    JessB Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    JessB said:
    Wibbles said:
    I fancy the Excel G-Lite pro
    Hi,

    I currently have the Excel G-Logic which after a quick google looks like a very similar chair. I would recommend it with a hint of caution. I have been using this chair most of the time when I am out of the house and have noticed that the way it makes you sit can cause some lower back pain. It would depend on how much you use it, however, if you are looking into using it long-term and for a high amount of time during the day I would consider looking at other chairs.

    Were you measured up for this chair - or did you order it on-line ?
    I went into store and got measured. It was an able world. I do thought think I would have fit in a size smaller but there we go. I am currently raising money for a new chair.
    Jess
    They/Them
  • BigMam
    BigMam Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi,  due to my husband being diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritus, he can no longer put a heavy unfoldable wheelchair in the boot of my Mobility Car, so I need either a lightweight electric foldable scooter.  I have Stenosis of the Spine, Ishmaeic Heart Disease, asthma/COPD, arthritus in my knees, and most joints. and liver and kidney problems.  All I want is a little freedom, to go into town, to go out with my grandchildren when they go for a walk or down the park.  Just to do everyday things.  Is there anywhere that people can recommend that would help?  I am feeling very despondent.  My OT said that they do not do these.  Help please!
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,776 Pioneering
    edited December 2022
    Options
    BigMam said:
    Hi,  due to my husband being diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritus, he can no longer put a heavy unfoldable wheelchair in the boot of my Mobility Car, so I need either a lightweight electric foldable scooter.  I have Stenosis of the Spine, Ishmaeic Heart Disease, asthma/COPD, arthritus in my knees, and most joints. and liver and kidney problems.  All I want is a little freedom, to go into town, to go out with my grandchildren when they go for a walk or down the park.  Just to do everyday things.  Is there anywhere that people can recommend that would help?  I am feeling very despondent.  My OT said that they do not do these.  Help please!

    So your husband currently lifts your chair into the boot ?
    What will he do with an EVEN heavier scooter ?
    Because - even the lightest folding electric scooter will probably weigh as much as your present non-folding wheelchair (due to the battery)
    That said - I would avoid 3 wheelers for stability reasons
    or do you just want a scooter to zoom around town on ?
    Have you the ability to lift a lightweight dismantlable chair or is that completely out ?
    Do you have a hoist or some other way of getting your means of transport in to the car ?
    Do you have a mobility centre where you live ?

  • BigMam
    BigMam Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for your comments, but the ones we were getting into the boot was an unfoldable electric chair, which was VERY heavy!  They do Aluminimum electric foldable chairs, which we have seen and tried for comparison, the difference is quite remarkable.  But it would give me the freedom to go out with Family on my own, as they could fold it up without any problems.  
  • Siwheels73
    Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 748 Pioneering
    Options
    If you look online and find a chair you like, and find the manufacturer, then they will usually come out to you to demonstrate in the environment you will use it in. NHS Vouchers are still freely available, @janer1967. Speak to your local wheelchair service, @Wibbles.
  • BigMam
    BigMam Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    At the moment I drive to the place we want to see, along a promenade, country walks, I am the one that parks up, and everybody gets out to have their walk, and I sit in the car admiring the view with a good book, not an ideal situation.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,776 Pioneering
    Options
    If you look online and find a chair you like, and find the manufacturer, then they will usually come out to you to demonstrate in the environment you will use it in. NHS Vouchers are still freely available, @janer1967. Speak to your local wheelchair service, @Wibbles.
    How much is the NHS voucher worth?
    And is there any financial restriction on who can receive it? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I read up about the NHS vouchers and the criteria was quite strict they were only issued if wheelchair services were unable to supply a suitable chair 

    I guess its a postcode lottery like wheelchair services is run and my experience with them was not ideal to the extent I no longer use the service 

    But I know each area I'd diffetent so could be worth a try 
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,776 Pioneering
    edited December 2022
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    I read up about the NHS vouchers and the criteria was quite strict they were only issued if wheelchair services were unable to supply a suitable chair 

    I guess its a postcode lottery like wheelchair services is run and my experience with them was not ideal to the extent I no longer use the service 

    But I know each area I'd diffetent so could be worth a try 

    I need a light weight chair - my existing is too heavy to self move -
    THIS is NHS lightweight chair @ (from) 13.9 kg - which is NOT lightweight

  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,982 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope you are able to find a lightweight chair @Wibbles <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,776 Pioneering
    Options
    I hope you are able to find a lightweight chair @Wibbles <3
    Not yet - the wife wants to "save money"
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,982 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh no @Wibbles. How are you feeling about this?
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.