If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Doctors judging you (includes a link to satire)

Options
bluefox
bluefox Community member Posts: 636 Pioneering
Has anyone else with a mental health problem had a doctor judge you based on your appearance?

I had one who said I dressed well, when Infact I threw on a hoodie and some jeans, didn’t shower or brush my teeth. Yet to her I dressed well. 

How can doctors truly know how you’re affected when you’ve probably spent 7 days in the house not looking after yourself and make a huge assumption 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,184 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just imagine if you went to see a Doctor and they wrote something like… they were dressed in dirty looking jeans, their jumper looked like it needed washing, their hair was very greasy and needed a wash. What would you think then? You would probably feel quite insulted. I know I would be.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bluefox
    bluefox Community member Posts: 636 Pioneering
    Options
    Just imagine if you went to see a Doctor and they wrote something like… they were dressed in dirty looking jeans, their jumper looked like it needed washing, their hair was very greasy and needed a wash. What would you think then? You would probably feel quite insulted. I know I would be.
    The very flip side of that is very true. You wouldn’t want to feel insulted but I do question their reasoning for making such statements especially with regards to patients who have mental health problems. What you look like or how you dress isn’t a fair reflection of your mental state unless you turn up naked in sandals. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.