When do you start thinking about Christmas? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When do you start thinking about Christmas?

Options
CoffeeFirst
CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
Pressies to buy 🎁 
Cards to write ✍️ 

I’d say at the end of October/beginning of November maybe?

Comments

• Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @CoffeeFirst, I shop all year round for gifts. If I’m out and about and see something that someone I know will like I buy it to put away in my stash.
    I only decorate the house a week before though and leave them up until January 6th. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,595 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I started a couple of weeks ago. I've already bought several for my grandson and a few for my new granddaughter. My biggest problem is where to keep them :D I always tell myself i won't spend so much this year... :|

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I normally start about now but as we are going away for Xmas this year it will be a bit different 

Just family presents to buy no food shopping or 0rep and no decorations 
  • sam174
    sam174 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    September onwards I tend to think it’s fair game for thinking about gifts-I start looking for stocking fillers and getting the kids to decide what they’d like for a main gift from me 😊
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,297 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm starting now looking at gifts
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,703 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Family all getting money again this year couple of presents to buy for friends one of which we got today, have started adding a few bits each week to our Tesco order so it doesn't seem like we have looted Tesco on 23rd Dec. and thats it almost forgot (not really) I always spoil sm at xmas but no ideas yet as we have an anniversary in Oct.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,873 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    we have a few presents bought for my grandson, from now on we usually pick up a few extra shopping bits, love the season, 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm starting to feel under pressure now ha ha 
    I can be supper sonic once i know what we are buying people.
    I do save money all year round for Christmas.
    Just defrosted my freezer, ready to fill with Christmas goodies, we start to get bits and pieces of food each week from October, i am a list person so i tick of when i have brought something so i don't double up.
    I loveeeeee Christmas so do my family and we are so lucky to have lots of family get togethers.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Starting next week, it’s just where to put them!
  • Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    I have it quite easy compared to some simply because we're mainly cash or vouchers now, no longer hunting for that must needed toy that is the in thing.

Hubby's Mum gift voucher M&S
    Eldest son and DIL 💰
    Youngest son and his boyfriend 💰
    Grandson toys, clothes, jim jams.
    Hubby aftershave.
    Oh and our furry baby ball, new bed, bone chew. 

Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,771 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I also think about it all year round but I have it easy as well as only have 4 or so people to buy gifts for!!!
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,297 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've started adding things in the shopping like jars of pickles mint, cranberry sauces etc. All adults we do secret santa for 1 at a set price, been doing that for a few years now, it works well. Then we all buy kids. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Please pop the tree up even if you don't feel like it, it will help you get into the spirit @Pam. I'm sure your neighbours will understand if you can't treat them this year, they are probably in the same situation. 
    Don't let these feelings rule your life <3 It only gives power to them and makes it harder to get out of 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    As Biblioklept has said Pam I am sure your neighbours will be more than understanding, if you're worried, maybe have a chat with them now about everything, and perhaps you could all help each other prepare :)

I tend to wait until December itself to think about Christmas, but I might start earlier this year as it's always tricky to think of presents. I'm sure a lot of us will be looking inspiration on a lower budget, but perhaps it's an opportunity to think differently about things. 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Put your tree up Pam and please try not to worry about things, you say your an old gal "snap" how old are your neighbours - don't forget us golden oldies are made of good stuff, we have been through bad times before, 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Started my gift shopping yesterday care of online favourite 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    It's nice that you buy for the neighbours, dustbin workers, postal workers, chemist, and doctors Pam :) I'm sure they appreciate it a lot! 

What are you planning on getting for your dog this year? 

The £1 present idea is a good one I think, as it gives you a few things to open. I've heard of secret santas  where you each have an oddly specific amount to spend, like £4.87. I thought it sounded quite fun. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • CoffeeFirst
    Options
    I started a couple of weeks ago. I've already bought several for my grandson and a few for my new granddaughter. My biggest problem is where to keep them :D I always tell myself i won't spend so much this year... :|

Yes, where to put them can be a bit of a dilemma, lol. Congratulations on your new granddaughter 😀
  • CoffeeFirst
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Pam; My two dogs always get a few goodies too…can’t leave them out 😀
  • CoffeeFirst
    Options
    @janer; I never used to bother with online shopping but it doesn’t half save time faffing around than going to the shops, plus I find nicer gifts too.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.