LCW and leaving employment. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCW and leaving employment.

Options
owen394538
owen394538 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, I'm on UC and LCW. Work is becoming less and less possible for me due to health problems such as chronic pain and autism which, for some reason, has become less manageable over the past year. I don't have it as bad as some, I know, but work is becoming impossible and I cant keep giving fit notes. So my next prospect is leaving work. I'm willing to do the work related activities my LCW award requires of me, but working my current job just doesn't feel possible anymore.

My question is: am I going to be able to live without sick pay? I find the machinations of these things so confusing and am worried that when I leave I'll barely be able to cover rent as apparently my total allowance before deductions is £606. It wouldn't be enough for me to subsist on, but is there something I'm missing here? Am I just going to have to force myself to go back to work?

TIA for any advice
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,675 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think only you can make that decision. Of course you will receive less money per month in total if you don't work. If you're under 25 your UC will be £265.31/month, without the housing element.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @owen394538 :) Thank you for joining, and for posting about your situation! It's great to have you on board.

I can imagine that you might be feeling a bit stressed or worried about this- is that right? 

It can certainly be hard to make ends meet when living on benefits, especially with the current cost of living crisis. As poppy123456 has said, it's your decision to make as to whether it's worth it. Your health is, of course, really important. 

Have you considered whether there's a different type of work that might be more manageable for you? Or whether any adjustments could be made to your current role to make it more manageable? 

You might find the following helpful:
    Are you receiving any support to help you manage your conditions, such as chronic pain and autism? 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.