If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Liz Truss and Benefits

Options
LIVEDANDLEARNED
LIVEDANDLEARNED Community member Posts: 60 Pioneering
How are people feeling about Liz Truss, her understanding of people living with disabilities and the security of their benefits going forward? Interested to know your views? 

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’m sure she would give lip service and forced empathy to people with disabilities but platitudes don’t pay the bills. As far as benefit security is concerned at this time they’ve released rumours of cutting the benefits possibly in order to test public opinion. If that happens it will result in them losing the next election so I’m not sure they’d want to risk that. However there seems to be a new government living in fantasy land at the moment, a fools paradise and a definite lack of nous at the top so anything is possible. 

Im hoping that Truss will be swayed by a majority of conservatives during this conference who do have the sense to know that her approach is foolhardy. We shall soon see in the coming few days. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• LIVEDANDLEARNED
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I certainly believe she wants to get rid of benefits or at least reduce them, but like you say will she take the risk, knowing it could jeopardise the next election, or she may believe it may help her! 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,981 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @LIVEDANDLEARNED. Our responses are the very least you deserve.

I can hear the uncertainty in your response though which sounds really difficult. Please do let us know if you would like to talk this through further with us.

We are all here for you to support you, even if that's just listening. You don't have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don't want to  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,499 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't find her voting record particularly promising. We'll have to see how it pans out, I suppose @LIVEDANDLEARNED!

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• leeCal
    Options

Tory chairman suggests people 'can either cut their consumption or they can get a higher salary' when bills arrive

Jake Berry made the comments earlier in an interview with Sophy Ridge on Sunday on Sky News.’

This is how out of touch these people really are!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• LIVEDANDLEARNED
    Options
    Thank you so much for the responses, it seems we all seem to be thinking along the same lines. My concern is that she is so out of touch, the most vulnerable will suffer as a result!

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,133 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Despite his faults and they were legion, I suspect many of us will soon be wishing Boris was still PM, and I suspect a number of Tories are already thinking that (and I can't believe I just typed that !) 👀

2024 Election won

• LIVEDANDLEARNED
    Options
    Goodness, it will be a sad day if I reach that point of missing Boris 😫
  • leeCal
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Totally agree @woodbine, we’ve literally jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. ☹️

At at least Rishi Sunak had a heart.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In my opinion she just wants to make a name for herself be it good or bad 

She certainly has everyone talking about her and will go down in history which is what she wants 
  • LIVEDANDLEARNED
    Options
    Her attitude towards disability and benefits associated with it concerns me though. I feel like she just wants to do away with the lot of it. There isn’t much warmth or compassion that seems to come across when she speaks. 
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,804 Pioneering
    edited October 2022
    Options
    The Truss woman is not interested in anything, but her own job - she has proved this with her past decisions.
    She spent some time as president of Oxford university Lib Dems, before changing alliegence to the Conservative party - she was originally a Brexit Remainer, before changing to a Leaver.
    I honestly believe that she would change to Labour - if it saved her job
    I don't trust the woman and don't think that she is a suitable UK leader
    She will be out in a few weeks so maybe her replacement can pull the country back together again - if not, we are doomed (and I don't say that lightly)
  • leeCal
    Options
    I said it before and I’ll say it again, she’s not the brightest star in the sky and I don’t think she’s up to the job at all.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,472 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    She is part of the far right of the Tory party. She must be mystified that cuts in taxes have been so badly received, after all Boris was criticised for them being so high. 

Personally I have always found that the right love to play with the politics of division. Demonising some sectors of society while holding others up on pedestals. The concept is easy enough to understand, the poor are to blame because they are lazy, and the state has made it easy for them to find it comfortable to live at this level, whilst the rich are hard working, create wealth etc. So the solution is simple, cut benefits and services to the poor and reward the rich by taxing them less.

One reason that the above works so well is it also feeds into peoples personal prejudices. Individuals would rarely identify themselves in a demonised group, or construct an argument as to why the story line does not apply to them. It also feeds into the prejudices for other groups. For example, you can demonise migrants and asylum seekers, this will then feed into racial prejudices, and crimes against this group rise. However this rarely happens in isolation, so crimes against other groups, disabled, LGBT etc. also increases.

Why it didn't work this time is down to a number of issues. The conservatives breached the so called red wall, and with the return to right wing politics a lot of MPs are justifiably concerned. For me though one of the more interesting reasons for the change was an unexpected side affects of the pandemic.

As a community we have a lot of vulnerable residents, so over the years a lot of work was done by the board and staff to have contingency plans in place to support residents if they needed it. Much of this was based around extreme weather, though plans were designed to be flexible. As we provided housing services and rent collection we already knew who were vulnerable and who might struggle. So when the first lock down came we were prepared to offer what help we could.

What had never been factored in was that there would be a time when there would be a huge shift in the ways we work. So suddenly we had some very successful young people with time on their hands who wanted to help. This lead to some very interesting conversations as they began to realise how close to the edge some of their neighbours were and questions about what we had been doing to support them. The point is that a lot of people who may not be rich, but were certainly comfortable began interacting with their neighbours and finding the truth for themselves. Since the not so mini budget I have also received comments as to why they are getting help with things like electricity when they don't need it.

So when Suella Braverman tried to revive the 'benefit street culture' argument there were a lot more people who recognised it as propaganda.

Personally I believe that while she may not be the PM by the time of the next election a part of me would like to see her hang on as long as possible so we finally get rid of this nasty party. Boris Johnson managed to lose most of the goodwill of back benchers and this latest farce has done nothing to restore it. I am hoping that they will not just tow the party line, but actively hold this government to account and if necessary vote against the government when they need to.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,133 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Things seem to be moving fast, it now seems that Hunt is PM in all but name, the BBC even suggesting that Truss will be gone by next weekend.
    Hunt was on the radio today and he trashed her plans for the economy stating clearly that there would have to be spending cuts, there would have to be tax increases, it could be an interesting week as we watch the Tory party fall apart .

2024 Election won

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,472 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Woodbine it is certainly going to be an interesting time. Over a decade of cuts one has to wonder what is left to cut. Cuts in benefits, a usual Tory trick, will push many families over the edge, including those in work get benefits. Few if any public services can take another hit in finances without losing more services. Cuts in development and infrastructure are likely to hold up the economy from developing.

Again with tax increases. Who will be responsible for carrying that burden?

I did wonder at the appointment of Hunt, if this was her choice or one that was forced upon her. Without the support of the Treasury she has effectively been neutralised. It is not unusual for the PM and the Chancellor to disagree, it is very unusual for them to have such opposing ideas. 

Reminds me of the Chinese curse 'May you live in interesting times'

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.