If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Tinyface!

Options
Tinyface
Tinyface Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Its not really my name but thats what my dear husband calls me!
Just diagnosed with diverticulitis after 3 weeks of dreadful pain misdiagnosed as ibs. Looking for info and chat

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,504 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @tinyface :) Thank you for joining the community, and for telling us about your situation.

How are you feeling about your new diverticulitis diagnosis? 

What kind of information are you looking for? 

You've come to the right place to chat with likeminded people. We're a friendly bunch, and there's usually someone around to talk to. 

If you're looking to take part in some casual conversation and games, I'd encourage you to pop into our virtual coffee lounge.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community from me too @Tinyface I hope you're enjoying the forum so far :) 

Is there anything we can help with today?

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • sarah36
    sarah36 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Options
    @Tinyface, your husbands name for you is adorable 🥰 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there and welcome 

My mum was recently diagnosed with that too after being admitted to hospital 

Personally not sure it is correct though as she went in with suspected kidney stones and had her kidneys flushed which from reading up I can't see where this fits with diverticulitis but I'm no doctor 
  • Tinyface
    Tinyface Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Hi everyone thanks ive only just seen these comments as been on my bed a lot and too miserable to pick up phone. Im a technophobe too so dont know how to reply to each of you but I will give it a try.
    @Tori_Scope Thanks. I am looking for info about how to prevent and treat. If indeed gps diagnosis is correct. Im getting further tests but quite upset if it is that. Yet another digestive issue! 
    @Teddybear12 thanks thats useful info
    @Alex_Scope thank you. Just chatting is nice! Im miserable with pain and exhaution! 
    @janer1967 they are going to check for those as have pain in kidney same side.  Is your Mum ok now? 
    @Pam hello to you too. I know that feeling. Ive lately been too exhausted to pick up my phone.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Tinyface yes mum is OK now thanks had a nasty water infection which I think was the problem finally cured with couple courses of antibiotics 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,504 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You've replied to us perfectly there by tagging us in @tinyface :) 

I'm sure your doctor will be able to let you know what your treatment options are if it does end up being diverticulitis, but the NHS page says the following:

Treatment for diverticular disease and diverticulitis

Treatments for diverticular disease

Diet
    Eating a high-fibre diet may help ease the symptoms of diverticular disease and stop you developing diverticulitis.

Generally, adults should aim to eat 30g of fibre a day.

Good sources of fibre include fresh and dried fruits, vegetables, beans and pulses, nuts, cereals and starchy foods.

Fibre supplements, usually in the form of sachets of powder that you mix with water, are also available from pharmacists and health food shops.

Find out how to get more fibre in your diet

Gradually increasing your fibre intake over a few weeks and drinking plenty of fluids can help prevent side effects associated with a high-fibre diet, such as bloating and farting.

Medicine

Paracetamol can be used to relieve pain.

Some painkillers, including aspirin and ibuprofen, should not be taken regularly as they can cause stomach upsets. Ask a pharmacist about this.

Speak to a GP if paracetamol alone is not working.

You may be prescribed a bulk-forming laxative to help ease any constipation or diarrhoea.

Treatments for diverticulitis

Diet
    If you have diverticulitis, a GP may recommend that you stick to a fluid-only diet for a few days until your symptoms improve.

While you're recovering you should eat a very low-fibre diet to rest your digestive system.

Once the symptoms have gone, you can return to a higher-fibre diet, aiming to eat about 30g of fibre a day.

Medicine

Diverticulitis can usually be treated at home with antibiotics prescribed by a GP.

You can take paracetamol to help relieve any pain. Talk to a GP if paracetamol alone is not working.

Do not take aspirin or ibuprofen, as they can cause stomach upsets.

More serious cases of diverticulitis may need hospital treatment.

In hospital, you'll probably get injections of antibiotics, and be kept hydrated and nourished using a
    tube directly connected to your vein (intravenous drip).

You may also be prescribed a stronger painkiller if paracetamol is not helping.

Surgery

In rare cases, surgery may be needed to treat serious complications of diverticulitis.

Surgery usually involves removing the affected section of your large intestine.

This is known as a colectomy. This is the treatment for rare complications such as fistulasperitonitis or a blockage in your intestines.

After a colectomy, you may have a temporary or permanent colostomy, where one end of your bowel is diverted through an opening in your tummy.

The most common complication of diverticulitis is developing abscesses.

These are usually treated with a technique known as percutaneous drainage, which is done by a radiologist.

If surgery is being considered, your doctor should discuss the benefits and the risks very carefully with you.
    I'm sorry to hear that you've been exhausted and miserable. We're always around to chat to, if you'd like to take your mind off of things :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.