Do you enjoy wildlife — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you enjoy wildlife

Options
Sandy_123
Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,436 Disability Gamechanger
Yesterday morning I was sat having a cuppa in the garden. I could hear a clicking sound and thought is that a raven? Then I spotted a big black bird. After googling, crows can also make the clicking sound that ravens do. I'm still sure it was a raven tho.
Which got me thinking about other people's interest with wild life.

Comments

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I have regular visits from magpies and I have a couple of large black birds; I have yet to look to see if they are rooks, ravens, jackdaws or crows.  I also quite frequently see a Mr and a Mrs blackbird.  I used to get hedgehogs visiting quite frequently and bats at night, but since the council kindly built a school adjacent to my back garden fence, I no longer get bats or hedgehogs :'(
  • elahrairah
    elahrairah Scope Member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    I enjoy wildlife very much.  A few years ago I did a mindfulness course and whilst it didn't do anything for me in general, as part of the course I was asked to do a mindful walk every morning.  I chose to walk around the pond at Crystal Palace park and just be in the moment.  I enjoyed it so much that I did it every day for four years, until we moved out of London.  I learned about the waterfowl and enjoyed feeding them and making friends with the pigeons, I got so much out of it.  I am a now a keen birdfeeder and record the different types that come to the garden (just sparrows and pigeons and crows, mostly, but those are all wonderful creatures and fascinating and beautiful in their own right).  I have always been what my partner calls an inveterate animal botherer and there is a running joke that I aim to be bitten by every new species I meet...
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I like wildlife. I get bats and rooks as well as sparrows and pigeons in the garden. I even saw a sparrow hawk out there today, he or she has visited before. No hedgehogs though even though I have a small hole in the fence with my neighbour to allow them in and out. Nearly forgot the wren I saw last year. 🙂

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Options
    Its good to see others interested in wild life. 
    @elahrairah animal botherer made me smile. 
    @Cartini talking of magpies I saw one by next doors bird box, I don't think he was up to any good. 
    @leecal I gets loads of bat's by me, I live hear a nature reserve that have bat boxes nailed to the trees.
  • Cartini
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    Its good to see others interested in wild life. 
    @elahrairah animal botherer made me smile. 
    @Cartini talking of magpies I saw one by next doors bird box, I don't think he was up to any good
    @leecal I gets loads of bat's by me, I live hear a nature reserve that have bat boxes nailed to the trees.
    I think magpies are never up to good ;)
    I might put a bat box up - see if it will encourage any that may be in the area.

• Sandy_123
    Options
    Yeah try it  it's successful in the nature reserve, they have bat walks in winter at midnight with hot soup. I'm not that brave lol
  • Cartini
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    Yeah try it  it's successful in the nature reserve, they have bat walks in winter at midnight with hot soup. I'm not that brave lol
    I didn`t realise bats liked hot soup :D
  • Sandy_123
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Lol @Cartini
    There's always a hungry cat about Pam
    Alot of people feed the foxes by me and there is a fox protection place for injured foxes.
    We also have a Swan patrol team.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I LOVE all wild life, as a gardener, i am always on the look out for the bady and goody insects, and creatures that come into the garden, if you want to encourage more creatures then feed and water, they will soon get to know were they can get food from, it's a great hobby and something you can do from your window if you can't get out, even in the winter x
  • Sandy_123
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Alot of wild life are protected like bat's for instance. I found a injured one by my front door. I was advised to keep it in a dark box until bat protection could pick it up  as there is a bat hospital, believe it or not. Didn't know if the cat had caught it at the time. Was worried about rabies, as they carry it. It died before they came, so they said Bury it. I'll be honest I didn't Bury it I put it in the bin  :# then I got loads of letters from bat protection inviting me on their walks. I didn't go either.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Ha ha that made me laugh @Sandy_123 with the Bats funeral - they have a few bat walks round our area, never been to one tho, xx
  • Sandy_123
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Well the 1 by me is at midnight and costs 50p for your soup  :)
  • SueHeath
    Options
    yeh mmm dependsssss if it's your kind of thing @Sandy_123 ha ha xx
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    No I'm not brave to go into a pitch black nature reserve with a bunch of strangers looking for bats, besides loads flying around my garden at night. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.