Do any Accountancy firms offer a service that supports Adults with Autism who are self employed? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do any Accountancy firms offer a service that supports Adults with Autism who are self employed?

Options
GreenGardener
GreenGardener Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2022 in Work and employment
Hi ! My son who has Autism (aged 24) has started as a self employed gardener in the local community, cycles to work daily on weekdays to cut grass/general garden maintenance etc. His customers are mainly elderly people who can no longer manage the garden or younger professionals who are "time poor". It's going well !! and he enjoys it. I have registered him on GOV.UK with HMRC for TAX and NI etc as want to do this right. He gets paid around £250.00 - £300 per week by direct transfer/cash into his Bank Account (I have 3rd party mandate and support his needs by managing his on-line banking). Tax returns, etc is NOT my area of expertise at all but it has been suggested to get the services of an accountant Any ideas on getting an Accountant to ensure all HMRC type things are managed and above board ? Do any Accountancy firms offer a service that supports Adults with Autism/Special Needs who are starting in Self Employment in this way ? Any guidance greatly received...Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This is lovely to read @GreenGardener and welcome to the group, 
    I have done my husbands books/tax returns online for years., it is easy once you have done it a few times.
    If you go on the gov site for self employed it will give you all the information thats needed. They even have a help line.
    If your worried about doing all this, by all means get an accountant, i do not know if there are any that do special deals, but they do work out expensive, Good luck and i look forward to seeing what you decide to do.

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,526 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome @GreenGardener it's great he's got himself a little business going. Sue has given you some great advice. Feel free to join in on the forum
  • GreenGardener
    Options
    Thanks !  I have a put out a few feelers and have had a chat with a firm. Might cost £35 per month as an all-in service ! so will probably end up going down the self-learning route as there is a lot of free-source information. I work full time so that will be a challenge...and getting my head around these things...I'm a Life member of NAS so will approach them for any Accountancy firms who support a person with Autism entering the world of self-employment. 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There you go @GreenGardener you have helped yourself answer your own question, you know what it's like being a Mom we always do more for our children ha ha. One thing i will say make sure you fill his account book in every week, it does make life a lot easier. Even if you use an accountant you need this and keep any receipts - keep us updated if you can. 
  • GreenGardener
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @SueHeath ref your comment "you know what it's like being a Mom we always do more for our children ha ha".  What do you mean ? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.