ESA payment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA payment

Options
HKW08
HKW08 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi, thanks for taking the time to read my post, I put in a claim for ESA a few months back, I’m currently at the stage of the assessment period I believe, and I’ve signed the claimant commitment. 
I received a payment today from ESA for £55, I don’t know whether this is the normal amount or if it’s a mistake or an assessment period rate, is this usual? 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It’s not a normal amount - possibly it’s for part of a week. Only way to find out is to ring them - or wait until you get a decision letter which will confirm what you will receive. (I infer this is your first payment and it has taken a few months to process the claim.)

The standard assessment rate is £77/week if you are aged 25 or over so £55 would be the amount for 5 days.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • HKW08
    Options
    Yes first payment, I did read on the assessment rates but I wasn’t expecting a payment at all yet as I haven’t had any form of letter, I may give them a ring to find out. Thanks for your help 
  • calcotti
    edited October 2022
    Options
    HKW08 said:
    Yes first payment, I did read on the assessment rates but I wasn’t expecting a payment at all yet as I haven’t had any form of letter, I may give them a ring to find out. Thanks for your help 
    When they make the decision to pay they will issue a letter and may make a payment. With modern banking the payment will arrive before the letter. The letter will tell you what period the payment is for.

5 days does seem an odd period.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • HKW08
    Options
    I received a letter today telling me that they’ll pay me £77 a week, but it doesn’t tell me what group I’ve been placed into? Will this be separate? 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    £77 is the assessment phase rate. Once assessed this may change. If already assessed this may be LCW.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,605 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You haven’t had the work capability assessment yet so it will be assessment stage.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You won't be put in a group until you have had the work capability assessment process completed this can take a few months 

You will first get a form to complete then have an assessment with health assessor and then decision made by dwp 

You must continue to provide fit notes during all this time and will remain on assessment rate 
  • HKW08
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I’m on UC so I was told it’s the same work capability assessment they use? But thank you all for making it all make sense to me! 
  • calcotti
    edited October 2022
    Options
    HKW08 said:
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I’m on UC so I was told it’s the same work capability assessment they use? But thank you all for making it all make sense to me! 
    If you are already on UC you will not benefit financially from claiming ESA because the ESA will be deducted from your UC. You will however get Class 1 NI credits from ESA rather than the Class 3 you get from UC.
  • HKW08
    Options
    Yea that’s fine I’ve done it for the NI credits ☺️
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,605 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I just looked at your other thread and see that you've already been found to have LCWRA. This means that from the 14th week of your ESA claim you will receive £117.60/week. It will still be deducted in full from your UC entitlement.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • HKW08
    Options
    Thank you ☺️
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @HKW08. It is the very least you deserve.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to help. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.