Granted Enhanced rates, but disappointed.

Options
KPB
KPB Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Good evening, just need some advise please for a family member, who is very unwell.
Yes great news, but may have been a too late really. Just totally confused. He was on disability benefit up until January this year,2022 I believe the rate was £64.50 week. Then his health deteriorated and was diagnosed with Respiratory Failure/ congestive heart failure, I was told to inform benefits of his change of heath, which I did, they said, that he would now change to PIP, they sent out forms, and I sent back in May2022, then the wait began, and we waited, I rang after 12 weeks, all in hand with the accessors, i was told ,Great I thought, Don,t worry. they said, it  be backdated From when we received form. OK, jump forward to today. 20 weeks thereabouts. I decided to get an update, and rang them again. We have news they said, a letter is in the post. I will let you know what  it says........ Yes he has been awarded enhanced for both, at last I thought.
First payment 2/11/2022. Ummmm what about the 6months of waiting, backdated???
Ummmm...... no backdated payment. I was speechless, this is a man who worked hard most of his life, and who may not even make the next 6 months. He,s waited over 20 weeks for a decision, why??? He will be lucky, if he even gets too see the first payment. The reason apparently because he was already getting disability, what has that got to do with the 6 month decision. He was waiting for PIP Just so let down. Is it worth appealing for the back payment. Or shall I just let it go. Its not right ethically that I should start up a debate over payment at this stage of his life. Any advise would be helpful. I wouldn't even no where to begin with an appeal. Never claimed for anything. So not Savvy. Sorry for the rant. Its made me feel better lol.Karen.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,291 Championing
    Options
    They are correct that when transferring from DLA to PIP there is no money owed even if the PIP award is higher than the DLA was. It’s been the rules since PIP was introduced in April 2013. PIP starts around 7 weeks after the PIP decision was made. There’s nothing to appeal here. 
    If they have a diagnosis of less than 6 months to live they could have claimed through the DS1500 route, which would have fast tracked the claim. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KPB
    KPB Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for your quick response Poppy, hindsight is a wonderful thing, yes if it was palliative care maybe, but they can,t put a time, every patient different, all they said was less than 18months, could be less, could be sooner. Wish i had done more research, though. We have decided to withdraw the claim. So someone more suitable can get the help they need. Thanks for your information.  Karen x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,291 Championing
    edited October 2022
    Options
    KPB said:
    We have decided to withdraw the claim. So someone more suitable can get the help they need. Thanks for your information.  Karen x
    I don't understand why you would want to do that? There's an award and you can't just cancel the claim, it's not that simple. The DLA will now end and they will receive 1 final payment.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,392 Scope online community team
    Options
    KPB said:
    We have decided to withdraw the claim. So someone more suitable can get the help they need. Thanks for your information.  Karen x
    Hello @KPB. I'm sorry it isn't better news with regards to the backdating.
    As for withdrawing the claim, be sure you're not doing anything rash. To use your words, if your family member has been awarded they have decided he is suitable to receive the payment. Your family member receiving it does not prevent someone else doing so. 

Community Manager
    Scope
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Championing
    Options
    I too cannot understand why OP would seek to withdraw the PIP claim. Although they are not getting arrears because of the DLA to PIP transfers work they are getting more money in future. Why would you choose to give up future additional money.

If the PIP is cancelled they will be giving up all future payments because the PIP decision has ended DLA - it will not be paid after the end date has been reached.

KPB said:
    We have decided to withdraw the claim. So someone more suitable can get the help they need. 
    There isn't a fixed pot of money. Whether or not he receives PIP makes no difference to whether or not somebody else gets it.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.