Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

We need more than just hacks

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
I saw Shelter's reaction to the cost of living crisis recently, and thought it was quite thought provoking!
The cost of living crisis is pushing renters to breaking point, and the government is sitting back while rents spiral out of control.

From reusing your old teabags to putting on another jumper, taking shorter showers to just ‘working more hours’ – as one politician suggested, the news is full of ways to survive the worst cost of living crisis in the UK since the 1950s.

Some of these ideas are sensible, many are ridiculous, and some are just insulting – patronising people who are already doing all they can to get by.

Illustration of person working on laptop while in the shower with the quote Cost-of-living hack 14 just work more hours Or the government could make housing more affordable

Over to you...

What do you think about Shelter's campaign? 

Do you think sharing money saving hacks goes far enough in tackling the cost of living crisis?

Are you struggling to pay for housing costs?

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

Comments

• puppetmaster
    puppetmaster Scope Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    That whole hacks idea is so condescending!! 
    Work more hours?! Take shorter showers? Come on that's yet again blaming us that are the ones struggling when the government do nothing to help in real terms.
    How about they increase pay , or increase benefits? Stop the rising cost of food, petrol, gas and electric?
    These companies are making huge profits yet still increasing their prices that makes no sense to me.

I also think MP's should take a cut in wages. They are paid ridiculous salaries and only ha e to work a minimum of 3 hours a day for full pay! 
    Makes me so mad 😠 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,472 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Okay, I'm probably going to make myself very unpopular but I am going to pick up on point.

• cap social rent increases at 3%

I am going to disagree with this. Social housing were forced to reduce their rents by 1% each year for 4 years. Loss of revenue over these four years  would have been higher when taking into account the increase they would have normally got. This was one year after the government at the time came up with a formula for rent increases so landlords could have confidence in the business plans moving forward.

Even if the government were not looking to apply a cap in April 2023 it is extremely unlikely that any major social landlord would have applied the full increase in the rent that the current formulae allows. The current consultation is for 3 possible caps, 3%, 5% or 7%, with the government preferring 5%.

One of the reasons I object to the 3% is the lack of understanding on what many landlords are doing outside of their housing remit. Training for residents, creating employment opportunities not only in their own organisations but also working with partners to create apprenticeship opportunities. Supporting charities who work with their, and other residents.

This is alongside years of neglect of current stock, often because of various government policies. Reduction in stock through RTB and other mechanisms. Increasing obligations on social housing providers. Dealing with social issues that have come about because of various government policies.

As an active tenant and chair of a tenant management organisation I was sorely aware of some of the issues faced by our residents and helped to put in measures to try and help our residents with what was a dwindling allowance from the council. So I am far from unsympathetic. 

I just believe that 3% is too low. Especially as their costs are also increasing.

By no means am I saying that social landlords are not without their faults, however they have become a political football to kick about as they see fit. We have had 6 housing ministers since January 2018!

I have listened to several Tory MPs talk about the need to build more social housing, so it can be sold later on under RTB rules.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,472 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    On a more positive note, some great ideas on how to keep warm here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/heat-the-human-not-the-home-save-energy/

Along with some of the drawbacks of not using central heating at all.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.