Stroke and memory difficulties — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stroke and memory difficulties

Options
smokey18
smokey18 Scope Member Posts: 27 Connected
I had a stroke some four years ago which affected the right side of my body. I am still struggling with feelings of low self-worth, which has been heighted since I was forced out of my job on the grounds of medical capability in May 2022. Whether I am still in denial of my situation, or no, my sense of low self-worth is now impacting massively on my mental health. I am finding it difficult to accept that I am no longer able to do the job that I passionately trained to do.
I would really appreciate talking to people who too have had a stroke, primarily. I would like to hear about the impact their stroke has had on their life, how they now feel and what they have done to improve feelings of self-worth? 

Thanks 

Smokey 18

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @smokey18 :) Thanks for reaching out to us. 

I haven't had a stroke, so I can't pretend to know how you're feeling. I hope that some other members who've experienced something similar will be able to see and reply to your post, as you're certainly not along in having these sorts of feelings. I'm wondering whether @janer1967 will be able to give you some insight into her experience (I hope you don't mind the tag!).

We've heard some people compare this kind of situation to a feeling of grief- is that something that resonates with you?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Elle338
    Elle338 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi @smokey18
    I had a stroke nearly 2 years ago.  I still struggle with many things such as fatigue.  Recently I am struggling at work, off sick again and although I try being positive, it is getting more difficult to be.  
    I'm sorry you've been struggling with low self esteem & have been forced out of your job.  I can understand how that would affect you and add to your struggles.
    Having a stroke is absolutely devastating!! Even if, like me 'you don't look like.......' or you're looking great' 
    No one knows or understands what's going on in our brains but you are a warrior to have come through it and I wish you all the best 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,726 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've had several TIA's and CVA's over the last 20 odd years, after the second and biggest in 1998 I ended up with epilepsy which I still have and quite severe as well. I also had to give up my career which I loved with a passion and found it very hard, but eventually I came to the conclusion that I should put my health before my wealth.
    It takes time to adjust and I had 3 lots of counselling with different counsellors and ended up on anti-depressants which take the edge off my depression. @smokey18 have you spoke to your GP about how you are feeling?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Narvia
    Narvia Scope Member Posts: 7 Connected
    Options
    Hi 
    I suffer from Hemiplegic migraines which mimic a stroke and this will make me more likely to have a stroke in the future. I think I understand as I too had to leave a teaching career that I worked so hard to train for. At first I didn't want to leave, despite reducing my hours so many times and my employer was so generous so I felt angry that it still wasn't enough. It was more that I couldn't accept my new self and realise I needed to let it go and start anew. I now am a writer, writing whenever I am able and it saved me I reckon. Is there a hobby or something u like to do that perhaps you could focus most of your energy on? It may help you like it did for me.
    All best.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's a great tip for focusing your energies @Narvia thank you for sharing it :) What do you write about?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Narvia
    Narvia Scope Member Posts: 7 Connected
    Options
    That's a great tip for focusing your energies @Narvia thank you for sharing it :) What do you write about?
    @Alex_ScopeI write Dark Fantasy, Horror and Sci-fi fiction, poetry, short stories, flash and drabbles.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's so cool @Narvia would you mind explaining flash and drabbles? I've not heard of that before! :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.