Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

People with both physical and mental health problems and disabilities

Options
Hammers22
Hammers22 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
At the moment we either talk about people with mental health problems or people with disabilities. How about those people who are suffering and have both conditions (I call these the silent people) because at this moment in time they don’t know how to deal with the extremely worrying situation facing them. It’s not that because they don’t tell anybody about their worries, it’s more often than not they don’t have anyone to share their thoughts, concerns and worrying times with. If mental health services don’t hear from them , they assume that they are well and everything is okay with them, which is NOT the case, it’s because of the lack of funding within mental health services and the lack staff these poor souls are regularly forgotten which is very dangerous to assume! You will often find these people who are suffering not getting out of bed and oblivious to what’s going on in the world let alone in their own communities. How do you ask how I know this, it’s because I am one of these people who has been suffering for the past 25 years with my mental health and the past 8 years with my physical disability that I’m still finding hard to come to terms with in my life, I don’t want to be a burden to anyone, with GP overworked and you can’t get an appointment for 6-8 week to see your GP and even then they don’t have the time to be able to listen and understand how you are feeling and coping with my mental health and struggling with severe pain with my physical health. So who is there for people like us when the phone doesn’t stop ringing because you are being hassled about not paying your gas and electricity bills and other payments that you’re finding it hard to keep on top of. So we ignore them and hope they are going to go away, and not before to long It’s too late! 
Yours respectfully 
Hammers22 :) 

Comments

• mindful82
    mindful82 Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Options
    Hi hammers I must agree with you on a lot of your addressing I too I am one who lives with all for years I thought they thought I was a tennis ball and my treatment didn't serve my needs but now I've a good reliable mental health support team my general doctor I am able to call the surgery on waking for call back from my doctor on the same day I am in contact via text with my mental health support worker although it wasn't always like this its taken a long time my mental health team protect my mental health and have honoured their words too mental health first used money to modernise their hospitals doors that opened both so patients could not barricade themselves in their rooms although now mental health uk are doing more now for patients more in house psychologist councillors wheres before mostly cpn's graduating yes there is  still a lot they  need to do a great website where all information is available for free download too is www.getselfhelp.co.uk what's really interesting is mental health we learn from their support councillors give us the tools we've only to put the work like no magic for pain relief unless you wanting an addiction I know I found out the hard way I used to feel like I was on bottom of the ladder going nowhere I say this to all yes it's a struggle most days when we unable to reach out for help etc or feeling low our phone or laptop depending on your device www.getselfhelp.co.uk is like learning to be our own councillor some of us need more support and medication for our  conditions its  very draining too its important to remember our minds are for us to use and not the other way around it takes time we get there slowly practice makes permanent 
  • Hammers22
    Options
    Thank you mindful82. Your words I can relate to. I had a named GP for 13 years who got me through some very scary and difficult times, I would go has saying he probably saved my life on 2 or 3 occasions he was always there for me even at short notice like you have mentioned, but sadly he retired I didn’t even know one minute he was there the next he was gone, those individuals on reception at the surgery really don’t understand, because when you want to make an appointment to see your GP “yes” one of the few people that you trust which has taken a while for me to put my trust in, and I get questioned and even told that I can’t make an appointment because it’s not deemed necessary or urgent so I turn around embarrassed and hurry back to my place of safety “my bedroom” .
    Yours respectfully 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think many people feel the same way as you @Hammers22. There are certainly many improvements that could be made to mental and physical health services!

You're not a burden at all. Reaching out here is a great first step :)

If you live in England, you may want to consider referring yourself for mental health support through the IAPT service.

You could also see whether there are any services in your area run by local organisations and charities by searching on the Hub of Hope.

Lots of people are struggling with energy costs at the moment so, again, you're not at all alone in feeling some anxiety over bills. Are you claiming all of the benefits to which you're entitled?

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• mindful82
    mindful82 Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Options
    Hammers22 there is always a last resort when we're not being heard or understood or trying ask for help support appointments etc  that we need is contact your local Ccg its works yes and self referral for an assessment for mental health social workers etc its an  everyday thing yes still many improvements needed for staff as most have moved away from nhs positions for higher paid wages and the risks of working in hospitals is greating that's its ever been God bless you although my support worker is on a well deserved holiday back on the 24th although that's a long for a person who lives with mental their holiday will no doubt go so fast as it does when we're having fun enjoying ourselves my time will drag although I've learnt alot since I was appointed a mental health support worker my psychologist has  been away since last November being a first time  mother back next month I've been waiting for therapy that long a term in an orthopedic hospital 1 in a general hospital pandemic etc long journeys many bumps hoping for a change for better its a struggle as we all know although coming together on scope community is helpful sharing similar information which we all go through when living with mental health and  chronic pain thank you hammers22 
  • Hammers22
    Options
    mindful82, just talking to somebody who shares and understand what you have to go through on a daily basis is quite refreshing. At least they know what challenges you face and how frustrating it can be when you tend to vent your disappointment out on the people who you love the most and the vey same people that have stood by you through thick and thin, and who are still there for you to turn to the next time you are experiencing difficulties with anxiety and bad negative thoughts in your head born through being frustrated with the current problems the NHS is having to cope with and you almost feel guilty for being poorly, but you cannot do anything about it because there is no one available to help you get through your crisis, which become regular, it’s like one constant vicious  circle that you find yourself up against.
    Yours respectfully 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.