If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would my daughter moving back home affect my husband's disability premium?

Options
Kim22
Kim22 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi all new here my daughter left for uni in September and has now decided she wants to move back home and commute. Problem is I am on benefits my husband gets pip and esa. I have been to the local council and they have said that it wouldn't effect housing benefit or council tax unless she works during summer holidays. But then been told if she comes back it might effect my husband disability premium. Can anyone give me any advice she really doesn't want to stay there but I can afford to lose any money especially now.

Thanks 
Kim 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,053 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The only disability premium it would affect is the Severe Disability Premium but he would only be receiving this if you're either claiming a qualifying disability benefits yourself such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care or you're registered blind. Otherwise the only disability premium he would be claiming is Enhanced disability premium and this won't be affected.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kim22
    Options
    He gets higher rate in both pip how do I find out which it is and would they remove it if she moves back. Thanks kim
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The rate of PIP he receives makes no difference. As i advised he won't be receiving SDP unless this applies to yourself.
     if you're either claiming a qualifying disability benefits yourself such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care or you're registered blind.
    If you don't then your daughter moving back home will not affect the ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Kim22
    Options
    I found the recent letter from esa and it says disability income guarantee of £25.35 a week is that sdp?

Thanks kim
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2022
    Options
    That is not the SDP. That will be the Enhanced disability premium couples rate. This is automatically paid when in the Support Group.
    As i previously advised, if you're not claiming a disability benefit yourself (which i assume you're not because you didn't answer my question) then the ESA will not include the SDP. Your daughter moving back home will not affect the ESA.
  • Kim22
    Options
    I have found the recent esa letter it doesn't say anything about sdp. Thanks kim
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2022
    Options
    That's because it's not included in the ESA because you're not entitled to it. You seem to be missing the vital point i'm trying to make, which i have mentioned a few times through out the thread.
    As you are not claiming a disability benefit for yourself then you will not be entitled to SDP.
    As advised previously
     Your daughter moving back home will not affect the ESA.

The disability Income Guarantee, is otherwise known as Enhanced disability premium.
  • Kim22
    Options
     Thanks I posted with the letter but it said I had to wait for it to be approved to reply with letter thats why theres two replies one with letter one without . I am not receiving any disability benefits for myself. Thanks for the advice she will be very happy now. 
    If theres still the letter attached to this it's because it's stuck in the box now and I have no idea how to get rid of it. 

Thanks again 
    Kim

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.