Parent with disability and school. What have people done? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Parent with disability and school. What have people done?

Options
MoonBeam5
MoonBeam5 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello everyone. I would really like to know about other people's experiences and things they have done to manage with their children and school when you have a disability. 

I have a hidden disability and also bowel and bladder problems which affect my daily life. I don't however meet the criteria for a blue badge. I had to stop working full time a long time ago and I also don't meet the criteria for any benefits. 

My child will start school next year and I have no idea how I am going to get them there and back but I need to apply for a place soon. I have phoned around some of the closest schools most don't have any parking at all. Some have a disabled space but was told it's not often available or its coned off to stop people using it but I don't have a badge anyway so probably a moot point. 

One or two days I might be able to walk to the closest but the problem is I can't maintain it. And I definitely can't maintain the distance over what will be weeks, months and years. This is why I had to give up work many years ago because of my health and now I HAVE to be OK every day twice a day for the next seven years and I don't know how I'm going to be able to do it. 

Financial constraints mean I can't pay anyone else to do it. There's no bus stops near any of the schools, but even if there was I can't stand at a bus stop waiting and even the closest bus stop is a long walk. My other problems mean being stuck in traffic for a long time isn't an option either as I can need the bathroom at very short notice and I feel far too embarrassed to discuss that with any school admissions. But I basically have to get somewhere as quick as possible there and back with as little walking and traffic as possible and I have to plan my schedule and routine around this. 

From what I gather any parental disability doesn't have a bearing on being accepted / rejected by the council for a school. Only if the child is disabled. We've been told to choose at least 4 schools and I've done my best to find out what I can about getting there but none of the solutions seem viable. 

How have people managed with their school runs please?  What have you all done? 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Welcome to the community @MoonBeam5 :) Thank you for joining us!

I don't have children, so this isn't something I have personal experience of. I hope that another member who's been through this, or something similar, will be able to respond to your post soon. It sounds like a stressful situation!

Do you know any other parents whose children will be going to the same school, who could give them a lift? 

I also found this blog post on Disability, Pregnancy & Parenthood's website, which you might like to read.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

When I was selecting schools I explained my disability on the application and that due to me not being able to get out my son needed to go to nearest school 

This was secondary school so he was older and could walk there 

I became disabled when he was in primary school a d luckily he used to go with his friend who lived on same street and his friends parents took them 

School helped arrange all this 

Contact children's services as I know they provide taxi service for those who parents are unable to take their kids to school 
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    Options
    I would sugest you ask for an appointment with the head of the school you would prefer to send you children to and share with them the difficulties you will have in taking them to school and what support you would need from them. If they seem willing to listen and help then apply for that specific school stating why you need this school in particular and that you have already spoken to the head. If they seem as though they are not interested or just paying lip serve they are probably not worth bothering with and move on to the next school. I feel if they are not listening to the parents before your children go there then they wont listen to you if you have a problem when they are attending.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    @MoonBeam5
    Some councils will provide student transport in these situations but it is often discretionary and can be a bit of a fight. Have you spoken to your local authority admission team to see if they have any suggestions? 

Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.