Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Limited capability for work and work related activity

Options
joseph101
joseph101 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Universal Credit didn't take my Mental Health concerns seriously. I had to go to Court to get them to back off, to be honest some of the tactics that DWP\UC use are bordering on bullying. To start with I had a brilliant adviser called Stuart and he totally understood that I wanted to work, but hadn't for twelve years since the NHS forced me out. My parents have supported me all my life with High Functioning Autism. Universal Credit wanted to just send me to work at McDonalds or on the Railways which if I was younger I might have been able to mask my way through it. Even when I won my ESA appeal which they call LCWRA now UC didn't formally acknowledge that they made the wrong decision.

They slowly moved me over to the light touch disabilities team which I am grateful for but even so I felt that they could have apologised for applying inappropriate pressure. My Mental Health got so bad that I was using Alcohol as a coping mechanism which made me trip and break my leg. Prior to this I had phoned the Crisis team who were really obnoxious and really callus, they were like; look are you going to kill yourself, me (crying) reply like no, I just know I'm not coping and haven't been well for about 14 years.

The GP service is very hard to get an appointment and they just prescribe antidepressants. The IAPT service is just a 19 year old girl typing on who laptop prints a sheet of paper off describing Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. Which I think I use my own version of CBT all my life anyway. IAPT is totally inadequate for someone with diagnosed Mental Health like Autism. Its like digging house foundations with a spoon.

Social service are due to asses me now. I don't know if that will help or add stress, I suppose it depends who you get.

But ultimately all I want from life is a doable job (not starting at 6am finishing at 6pm and asking to go to the toilet), a place to live and a girlfriend. To be honest that's all I've ever wanted. OK we have dreams of renovating an old house in a far away place, or winning the lottery or living by the sea.

But I accept my life as it is now at 44 with sensory issues I spend many hours in my darkened bedroom (I'm even considering boarding the windows with insulation to reflect the bright sunshine and lower the noise from the neighbours chain saw etc).

I have a good family and they do finally believe in the struggles I've gone through. I always remember vividly sat crying in the car at ASDA about 14 years ago I called my mum because I didn't know what it was or what to do. I didn't tell my Boss because he was a heathen luddite who used to laugh at my insecurities and sensory overload.

What is the answer? I want to get better.

Tagged:

Comments

• joseph101
    joseph101 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    I wanted to add that I turned to DWP/UC after managing on my savings for ten years. So I had only been on UC two years and then they were determined to force me off. They would rather push me to suicide or sleeping on the streets taking heroin than help me. I've paid National Insurance for 18 years and my Parents and Grandparents paid theirs tax and NI for like combined 80 plus years. That's nearly a hundred years of paying into a system that when you need it they try to boot you out. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @joseph101 and thanks for being so open and honest about your experience of LCWRA, and sharing it with the community.

I'm sorry to hear how it's impacted you negatively, but I'm pleased to hear that you have a good support network around you with your family, and that you're looking to get better. 

You've mentioned social services are due to assess you, is that a needs assessment, and when is it due? :)

I was a little concerned to read about the response of the crisis team when you called them, was that a particular organisation, or under the mental health team? 

I think I read in another post of yours that your leg is on the mend now? Do you still feel as though you're in danger of using alcohol as a coping mechanism at the moment? 

If you do ever feel like you're having a bad day with your mental health, you can always call Samaritans on 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org, and you don't need to be at crisis point to have a chat about things. 

If you feel we can support you with anything, please don't hesitate to ask, and we'll do what we can to help.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @joseph101 :) I just wanted to check in with you to see how things have been over the past week. How have you been doing? 

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.