If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Need advice for a friend please.

Options
Leigh14
Leigh14 Community member Posts: 584 Pioneering
Hi. My friend has savings, so wouldn’t be eligible for UC, but I’ve told him to apply for PIP. I think he would be eligible for this, but not totally sure. He is just out of hospital after having ongoing problems with a hip replacement. He can only get around on crutches, but not very far without having to stop. Is it worth him trying to get help, and how long is the wait now before he would have an assessment?
Thankyou.

Comments

• Leigh14
    Options
    Sorry, forgot to ask, can he apply for PIP on line? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,241 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Whether they are entitled to PIP will depend on how their conditions affect them. 
    You can’t apply online. He will need to ring PIP to apply. Or you can start it by post which will take much longer. Details in link https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Whether they are entitled to PIP will depend on how their conditions affect them. 
    You can’t apply online. He will need to ring PIP to apply. Or you can start it by post which will take much longer. Details in link https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim
    Thankyou for that Poppy. Hope you are keeping well. I’ve not been on here for a while, but value every bit of advice given 🤗
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome. I'm doing ok, thank you for asking! I hope you are well too! It's good to see you posting :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Leigh14 said:
    Hi. My friend has savings, so wouldn’t be eligible for UC, but I’ve told him to apply for PIP. I think he would be eligible for this, but not totally sure. He is just out of hospital after having ongoing problems with a hip replacement. He can only get around on crutches, but not very far without having to stop. Is it worth him trying to get help, and how long is the wait now before he would have an assessment?
    Thankyou.
    If he has a full NI record for 2019-20 and 2020-21 and unless he is getting SSP he should also apply for new style ESA if he is currently limited from work.

For PIP he has to have the difficulties he experiences for three months and expect them to continue for another three months. If his difficulties are primarily from surgery and they should stop as he recovers from the surgery then PiP will likely not be relevant.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Leigh14 said:
    Thankyou.
    If he has a full NI record for 2019-20 and 2020-21 and unless he is getting SSP he should also apply for new style ESA if he is currently limited from work.

For PIP he has to have the difficulties he experiences for three months and expect them to continue for another three months. If his difficulties are primarily from surgery and they should stop as he recovers from the surgery then PiP will likely not be relevant.
    Thankyou for info. I know he has savings, not sure how much much, but could be over £6,000. Would he still qualify for new style ESA?
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Leigh14 Provided he qualifies for New-Style ESA yes, you can have as much as you like.
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Leigh14 said:
    calcotti said:
    Leigh14 said:
    Thankyou.

Thankyou for info. I know he has savings, not sure how much much, but could be over £6,000. Would he still qualify for new style ESA?

For every £250 or part there of over £6,000 there's a £4.35/week deduction from UC. Savings over £16,000 would mean they are excluded from claiming UC. If they live with a partner they'll need to claim as a couple and their joint circumstances will be taken into consideration.
    Savings do not affect New style ESA but they will need the NI contributions mentioned by calcotti.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Thankyou @bg844 & @poppy123456. I shall pass this on to my friend.🙂
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,981 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @Leigh14. It is the very least you deserve.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to help. We are all here for you, and your friend, and listening  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.