How long is the wait for Carer's Allowance in 2022? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long is the wait for Carer's Allowance in 2022?

Options
RetroRemix
RetroRemix Community member Posts: 165 Pioneering
Hi everyone,

I applied for Carer's Allowance just over 8 weeks ago, but I still have not heard anything back other than the email that confirmed I sent off the application form and the letter to my family member (Who is on AA) saying that there is a new claim for CA in the works.

Is this long wait time normal for this time of year?

I also cannot check up over the phone because I keep failing the security questions, despite making sure I filled out all the information correctly(I tried to ring twice the other day).. so I have no idea what is happening with the claim. :/

How long did you guys have to wait for your Carer's Allowance to come through? I'm starting to get really worried now and I can't stop thinking about it.

Thank you!

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I know someone who waited 16 weeks. The general guide is up to 12 weeks but of course that’s only a guide.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,839 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Nothing to worry about, 8 weeks isn't long to be waiting. There's another thread on here somwhere and they've been waiting 12 weeks so far.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • RetroRemix
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Ok thank you both so much!

Should I be worried about the failing the security checks over the phone when I rang to ask what was happening? Is it normal? I was sure I answered every question correctly, but I am also partially deaf and my speech is sometimes hard for others to understand... so I could have misheard some questions or she misheard me too maybe, IDK :/

But can it mean something is messed up somewhere along the line?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You can contact them through relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 0297
    British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
    Are you claiming any other benefits?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • RetroRemix
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Ok thank you so much!

I'm not claiming anything else, people have said that I could claim UC too, but I really don't want to go through the stress they seem to put claimants through, on top of taking care of my family member so I don't want to claim UC. And I'm not disabled enough to qualify for any sort of disability benefit.

I still have some savings left over from when I had to quit my job to be a carer, so paying bills is OK for the time being.... I think a few months. My family member pays for half the household and I pay the other half.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If you claim UC as a carer you will have no work commiments. You will be excluded from claiming if you have savings of more than £16,000. For every £250 or part there of over £6,000 there's a £4.35 per month deduction.
    If you're single with no rent to pay then you'll be entitled to £334.91(over 25's) single standard allowance and £168.81 carers element. The carers allowance will be deducted in full from the UC.
    This will mean your UC will be £194.72/month and your Carers Allowance will be £69.70/week.
  • RetroRemix
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Oh, I did not know that there would be no work commitments as a carer :o

Nobody else has told me even that I could claim UC at the same time as Carer's Allowance, so I did not think it was possible!

Me and family member both have much less than even £6,000 in our accounts, so there should not be any deductions thankfully.

Would I have to wait for the decision letter to come back from Carer's Allowance before I claim UC as a carer?

Sorry for all the questions, the system is confusing for sure.. but you help make it much easier to understand, so thank you!
  • bg844
    Options
    No, you can apply for UC now. Any arrears you receive from CA will be deducted (a small amount per month) as it is classed as an overpayment although you are still going to be better off. Just please make sure you say you care for someone whilst you complete your application.
  • bg844
    Options
    Just to add, if you applied today your first payment will be made on 25th November and the 25th of every month after that. 
  • poppy123456
    Options

Me and family member both have much less than even £6,000 in our accounts, so there should not be any deductions thankfully.

If you're living with a partner you'll need to claim UC as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration.
    The family member you're claiming carers allowance for is not included in your UC calculation and their savings, even if more than £6,000 will not affect your entitlement.
    You didn't need to claim Carers Allowance to be entitled to Carers element of UC.
  • RetroRemix
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Ok, thanks both!

Nah I'm currently single and intend to stay that way... unless someone really special comes along :D

Do you know if there is a huge backlog of processing UC claims as there are for the other benefits?

I'll apply tonight online when I have more time!
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There shouldn’t be any delays processing an initial UC claim (although the first month payment may not be completely correct).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • RetroRemix
    Options
    Ok, that's good to hear.

Even though I wouldn't have any work commitment due to me being a carer, would I be expected to sign on at the job centre?

It would be fine, it's only down the road from me but if my family member takes a turn for the worst, and needs me there and then... it would mean that I might miss the sign on time.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Your first UC payment will be 1 month and 6 days after you apply. You will then receive your money on the same date each month, unless your payment date falls on a weekend or a bank holiday and then you will receive your money on the Friday before.
  • calcotti
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Even though I wouldn't have any work commitment due to me being a carer, would I be expected to sign on at the job centre? 
    You will need an initial appointment while the claim is set up and you agree a Claimant Commitment. You will not be required to have regular appointments.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • RetroRemix
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Ok another hurdle that I have (The last one I promise! :P ) is that my passport has ran out because we haven't been on holiday in years or needed it to prove anything so I just let the cut off date pass by. (I know, it was silly :/ )

I can't afford to apply for a new one just yet with bills incoming, and I really don't know too many people that will countersign it, apart from the pharmacists and doctors...so will they let me use another document to verify my identity as part of the sign up in the meantime?

But I have a birth certificate, Utility bill, bank statement, and debit card all ready to show... would they accept these as proof of identity instead?
  • calcotti
    edited October 2022
    Options
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You don't need a new passport counter signing if it is a renewal that is jysr for new applications 

I've just renewed mine and it had expired years ago 

You usually need photo id but I'm not certain 
  • RetroRemix
    Options
    Ok that's a relief! Thanks very much everyone for your help, I'll be putting in an application for UC later on :)
  • RetroRemix
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Ok the application for UC is in the works! One more question: Do I tell the CA team that I am claiming UC, and then tell the UC team that I am claiming CA? Or will their respective systems already be informed that I'm claiming their benefits?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.