If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Does anyone get nervous for "no reason"?

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,983 Disability Gamechanger
Does anyone get nervous seemingly for no reason?

How do you cope with it?

I have things that cause me anxiety on a daily basis but I'm also feeling anxious on top of that, if that makes any sense. I can't put my finger on a reason, other than a fear that something bad is going to happen.

Comments

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,932 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I often feel anxious over nothing, if we go out in the car and have bags of shopping, i find myself worrying the whole way home, will the bags be to heavy, or will they break? literally the whole way home its building in my mind, my wife knows this so keeps me distracted, i feel silly, but with my complex ptsd little things just get me, i find grounding techniques work sitting calmy close my eyes take a slow breath repeat in my mind its ok just centering myself
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks @Grinchy

I appreciate the tips and will give them a try.

I worry about little things myself, things similar to what you mentioned like with shopping, and little things like will there be a parking space.

Maybe some people are "programmed" to worry? If all of our current worries were taken away, would we find something else to worry about?
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,801 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're right that there is an evolutionary component in this.  If everyone was a reckless thrill seeker the human race would have died out pretty quickly, falling off cliffs, drowning in the sea and being trampled by mammoths.  Equally, if everyone was terrified of everything we'd never have explored and discovered new parts of the world and new techniques.  Would probably still be around, but stuck living in caves and eating berries.  

Obviously that's just one very basic split, but there are a lot of evolutionary advantages to not all being created the same. :)  

Having said that, I'd absolutely prefer to be a reckless thrill seeker than a constant worrier!  :D  
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious

I think that is pretty spot on :)

Funnily enough today I was chatting about evolution with a family member while walking the dog and commenting on their behaviour!!...I mentioned that an animal that is "programmed" to run away and survives because of this is just as "strong" as an animal that is able to fight the danger head on.

Also I am reminded of a quote from David Mitchell...don't know word for word but it's along the lines of..."Some children are timorous, some are reckless. Society is designed with the safety of reckless children in mind, and as a result of that, timorous children live in a state of perpetual fear."

I think I'd like to be somewhere in the middle if I'm honest lol. I'd take "risks" like leaving the house but maybe not jumping off a cliff :D
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    @OverlyAnxious

I think that is pretty spot on :)

Funnily enough today I was chatting about evolution with a family member while walking the dog and commenting on their behaviour!!...I mentioned that an animal that is "programmed" to run away and survives because of this is just as "strong" as an animal that is able to fight the danger head on.

Also I am reminded of a quote from David Mitchell...don't know word for word but it's along the lines of..."Some children are timorous, some are reckless. Society is designed with the safety of reckless children in mind, and as a result of that, timorous children live in a state of perpetual fear."

I think I'd like to be somewhere in the middle if I'm honest lol. I'd take "risks" like leaving the house but maybe not jumping off a cliff :D
    Yes, I feel an affinity with David Mitchell myself.  Pretty sure that was a quote from Would I Lie To You?  Also seen him get nervous on QI while Alan Davies is messing around with chemicals next to him lol. 

How about jumping off a cliff tied to a bungee cord?  ;)  
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    I think it was WILTY, yes!

Bungee jumping never appealed to me!! It seems like a lot of fear for no reward, in other words even if I could do it I'm not sure what I'd actually gain from doing it? :D 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,995 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Does anyone get nervous seemingly for no reason?

How do you cope with it?

I have things that cause me anxiety on a daily basis but I'm also feeling anxious on top of that, if that makes any sense. I can't put my finger on a reason, other than a fear that something bad is going to happen.
    I think I'm quite like this. I have anxiety generally and certain things cause heightened anxiety but I also just get that anxious nervous worried feeling without knowing why or what's causing it. 

Only thing I think it could be is that my body is having a physical reaction to something and I'm interpreting it as anxiety and that's then causing greater anxiety. 

Body fluctuations are normal but I'm so attuned to them (and apparently that's common with autism) that I notice them more than others. But so many of these fluctuations are similar to what your body does when anxious. I think my mind might confuse the two. That's just my take on it though and what I try and reassure myself when it's happening!

It took me a long time to realise excitement and anxiety feel exactly the same too!!!
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    I sometimes get that feeling that something is wrong but I don’t know what it is. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options

It took me a long time to realise excitement and anxiety feel exactly the same too!!!
    I really don't like excitement because of the physical sensations it causes.  So frustrating when I've received a delivery of something that I wanted or won some cash on a sports bet etc as it turns what should be a positive thing into an overwhelmingly negative event.  Think I'd find life easier all round if I didn't have any bodily sensations at all. :|
  • Amazonianup
    Amazonianup Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    Options
    For some reason I now get what's like a tremor in my spine I think it's stress and anxiety as this was causing the body aches and .pains?. Walking with shopping on busy road and a lorry goes by or suddenly approached randomly can make me jumpy. It's very exhausting. I don't know why I have experienced worse stresses and dealt okay with most things but now I find it hard going to buy places it's too taxing. Somedays if I can get good sleep I can manage to stay long enough to get what I need from bigger shops or centres. My symptoms are minimised by quality sleep, but when I don't or stressors are too much that's when these negative things seem to happen for me and I find it hard to hide them or control them and I get very depressed. Being in nature helps with these things of our in open spaces.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.