Hi, my name is pjj! Dreading the wait for state pension

Options
pjj
pjj Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2022 in Benefits and income
I've been disabled for a long time, I was receiving high rate mobility and middle rate care. Then I had the pip check. At first they said no and stopped everything so I appealed and ended up with the lower rate. I now struggle. I have just turned 66 this month so now I have to wait to get my state pension. I am dreading this. I am no good with paperwork and useless with computers. I managed to apply for my pension.

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,926 Championing
    Options
    You have been really brave in reaching out to us @pjj. It sounds really difficult that your mobility and care rates have been reduced through the PIP check. 

Would anything, in particular, make this feel more manageable for you at the moment? I can hear how you are dreading it. 

Do you have anyone who can support you with the paperwork and computers? It sounds really positive that you have been able to apply for your pension.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,537 Championing
    Options
    I applied for my state pension and they duly obliged, no paperwork necessary at all, unless I misunderstand you @pjj
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,443 Championing
    Options
    Welcome to the community @pjj :) How has your weekend been? 

I can see why the prospect of applying for state pension might seem a bit daunting. I haven't claimed it myself, but I had a look on the gov.uk website to understand the process a little better.

Here's some information on how to claim taken from gov.uk:
    How to claim
    You will not get your new State Pension automatically - you have to claim it. You should get a letter no later than 2 months before you reach State Pension age, telling you what to do.

If you have not received an invitation letter, but you are within 3 months of reaching your State
    Pension age you can still make a claim.

The quickest way to get your State Pension is to apply online.

Apply now

How to claim is different if you claim from Northern Ireland.

Other ways to apply

You can also phone the Pension Service to get a State Pension claim form posted to you.

Send your completed form to:
    Pension Service 8
    Post Handling Site B
    Wolverhampton
    WV98 1AF

There’s a different way to claim your pension from abroad, including the Channel Islands.

If you want to keep working

You can claim your new State Pension even if you carry on working. However, you have the option to defer which can increase the amount you get.

Would applying online, or completing a paper form, be an option for you? Have you received your State Pension letter?

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,537 Championing
    Options
    I’m sure I applied online, it really wasn’t difficult.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 353 Empowering
    Options
    The opening poster has said that they have managed to make the claim for their State Pension and that they are now waiting for it.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 353 Empowering
    Options
    @pjj

Is your PIP for Mobility or the Daily Living Component?

If it is for the Daily Living Component then you might be entitled to some Pension Credit as well as your State Pension. 

It would depend on your other income if you have any and if you live alone.  Does anyone claim any Carer benefits for caring for you?  

If you can give us a bit more information we will be able to say whether you would receive any Pension Credit or not.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Empowering
    Options
    What I do find amusing is the speed by which the DWP can close down claims yet take months and months to get a different replacement award into payment.
     I can remember when my ESA (contribution based) award ceased on my 65th birthday yet my State Pension and first of the three Pension Credit claims took over six weeks to be put into payment.