Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Inheritance and income related ESA, pip ect

Options
annit96
annit96 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi there I am looking for some advice. I have been left 10k by my step father. Which is lovely of him but causing quite a bit of distress after what I have been reading.    I am on HB, income related ESA and higher rate PIP. I am fully aware that there is a 6k cap and the rest is taken as £1 per £250 per week.  The first thing I don't understand is  that is this done per award, for example the same for each £1 for HB £1 for ESA until the 4k remaining is spent over a reasonable time? Whatever a reasonable time is?? I have household things I need to buy , credit cards debts to pay with crazy interest rates, and I need to pay back family members. Is this classes as deprivation of capital?? 

Also with the remaining 6k am I allowed to put that into a savings account or similar and if I wish to spend some am I allowed?? I don't want to get rid of it I just want to be able to finally do some nice things?  
For example a family staycation in the UK and I wanted to buy myself a camera to take pictures with? 

It all seems very unclear and I don't know who to talk to. I don't want to get into trouble. If anyone has any info please help. I'm getting in a bit of a state worrying about it.  

🙏 Thankyou. 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    You can do whatever you want with the remaining £6,000.

Using money to buy things you need and to pay off credit cards is not likely to be seen as deprivation of capital. Paying off family members may be more questionable especially if you have no formal agreement with them.

Unfortunately the decision on deprivation of capital is made by a Decision Maker and there is no fixed list of what is allowed and not allowed.

The expenditure has to be seen to be reasonable and has to not be done to increase benefit entitlement.

You will need to tell them when you get the money and then keep the updated as you spend it (keep receipts etc.)

You won't be in trouble. The worst that will happen if some of the expenditure is treated as deprivation is that you will still have a reduction in your benefit as if you still had that amount of capital. (It woulds be more complex if the capital was over £16,000 such that your benefits would end.)

Note that capital rules for Council Tax Reduction vary between local authorities so may be difficult for the CTR than the other benefits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • annit96
    annit96 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Thankyou @calcotti for your reply.  It's very useful so I can use 6k to buy a camera and use for a holiday? Of I wish over the next couple of years, But the other 4 must be used for living? I wasn't sure I I could open another account to put the savings Into That's very vague too. Thanks 👍
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    You can keep your money in your bank or a savings account or under the mattesss. DWP are only interested in the value of your capital not in what form it takes.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.