Daughter age 4 sleep issues — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Daughter age 4 sleep issues

Options
Neringa
Neringa Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello my daughter is 4 she got chromosomal differences. Been struggling with everything from eating to growing to developing. She is happy little soul and we slowly getting things sorted, but one and biggest problem is sleep. She can't settle herself to sleep, and then when we finally getting her in to sort of kind routine she just has one bad night and that's knocks her out completely. Just wondering if there is any help, or there are parents that are/ was in same situation and have any advice. Thank you very much 
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Neringa good evening and welcome to scope hope you are well? the only advice would be to take her to see your GP.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think they only work in certain parts of the country but there is this service called sleep right that Scope do: https://www.scope.org.uk/family-services/sleep-right/

Is it getting to sleep in the first place or staying asleep that is the main issue? 

Hope you're managing to get some rest <3
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @neringa :) Thank you for joining us!

Thanks also for posting about this. How are you and your daughter doing today? 

I'm not a parent myself, but I'm sure many parents will be able to relate to the challenges you're facing. 

As biblioklept has said, we have a Sleep Right service. We also have other family services that you might be interested in accessing if eligible. 

Sleep Right also have some helpful podcast episodes, which I'd encourage you to listen to.

Additionally, we have some information on our website about helping your child to sleep, which might give you some ideas.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Neringa
    Options
    Thank you for replies. GP is no help as pediatrics dealing with our case, and our pediatrician talked with Evelin clinic in London. But advance that we getting is same that we already tried it before. She struggling to settle for sleep and because of that she don't know how to settle herself back to sleep when she wakes up in night. We are trying again for her to fall asleep by herself, but when you haven't have any rest yourself you just do what is easiest to just get her off to sleep. And I know it's not right thing to do... What I really want to hear, I think, that there is light at the end of tunnel as at the moment it just feels that it is just me and my little lady alone in this 😢
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I realise it's easy for me to say, as I'm not a parent, but I do think there'll be a light at the end of the tunnel @neringa. It sounds as though you're doing the right kinds of things, and it's great that she's under a paediatrician :) 

Did you manage to listen to any of the podcast episodes I sent you? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Ollyoyster
    Ollyoyster Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, I hope this helps, I used to get a teddy and tell my daughter that it was bedtime, and she had to put teddy to bed, she enjoyed the role, then if say to her who's going to fall asleep first, and that worked,,with all of my kids I've learnt that it's all about taking the distraction out of the problem.. I hope this helps, I know you know your child best but I wanted to help if I could xx
  • Neringa
    Options
    Thank you for messages, yes I did listen to broad cast, and I am already doing those things, but good idea was about food, so will try do that. Ollyoyster thank you for your message, but my little lady is 4 but her mental age is about 6 months old baby, so she won't understand unfortunately. But I really do appreciate your message 

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @Neringa. Our messages are the very least you deserve. 

If we can do anything else to help please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • ChiChi
    ChiChi Community member Posts: 50 Connected
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Neringa said:
    Thank you for replies. GP is no help as pediatrics dealing with our case, and our pediatrician talked with Evelin clinic in London. But advance that we getting is same that we already tried it before. She struggling to settle for sleep and because of that she don't know how to settle herself back to sleep when she wakes up in night. We are trying again for her to fall asleep by herself, but when you haven't have any rest yourself you just do what is easiest to just get her off to sleep. And I know it's not right thing to do... What I really want to hear, I think, that there is light at the end of tunnel as at the moment it just feels that it is just me and my little lady alone in this 😢
    There is hope, I have 6 kids and my 1st was my hardest because she wouldn't settle at night and would sleep at 7am and not ever leave me alone..... Bless her she would have colic issues. The milk she was drinking was keeping her awake at night, as soon as we changed it 6 months of sleepless nights she settled, I know.....

Sometimes we as parents need to analyze our child and see what the issue may be, some health care workers give advice or tell you what they think it may be but that's all text book! I always went with my gut feeling and none of my kids have had any issues since because I stuck with the same plan lol I didn't give the other 5 a chance to ruin my sleep.

There is hope and you will get that much deserved sleep back again, it does happen.

I hope baby settles soon into a night routine 

Also may I add, try a little white noise next to her, it really works, never failed me ever when I needed it.
  • Neringa
    Options
    Hello, thank you for your message. I thought I was winning for few nights, but now sitting here at 3 o'Clock in morning with her babbling in cot. I'm sticking to our routine. With white noise it is slightly hit and miss, as she has moderate hearing loss and is non verbal it just makes it all that little bit harder.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 174 Listener
    Options
    Weighted blankets can be really comforting for children with sleep issues. I use one and its a lot more comforting than normal duvets. It feels like your tucked in and protected.
  • Ollyoyster
    Ollyoyster Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    Options
    That's a brill idea, my friends son has autism and wouldn't sleep if cover was wrinkled and my friend got a duvet for him that's weighted and I'm sure it has some sort of strap to keep it in position, so not to Wrinkle,,  I know it's not the same problem but when my little one was teething it was a nightmare, the only time she stopped was when I put the hoover on,, many a time I just let it stay on, none hoovering, just for ateast her to get some sleep. Sleep deprivation has got to be the worst, I know it's easy for me to say, but the best advice I was given is it doesn't matter what time, if baby sleeps you sleep to catch up, don't deprive yourself xxxx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That's a brill idea, my friends son has autism and wouldn't sleep if cover was wrinkled and my friend got a duvet for him that's weighted and I'm sure it has some sort of strap to keep it in position, so not to Wrinkle,,  I know it's not the same problem but when my little one was teething it was a nightmare, the only time she stopped was when I put the hoover on,, many a time I just let it stay on, none hoovering, just for ateast her to get some sleep. Sleep deprivation has got to be the worst, I know it's easy for me to say, but the best advice I was given is it doesn't matter what time, if baby sleeps you sleep to catch up, don't deprive yourself xxxx
    Weighted blankets are amazing for children and adults alike, there is just something safe about the feeling of confinement, like they are in the womb. Well worth buying for everyone sleep issues or not.
  • Neringa
    Options
    Thank you, we do have one for her, but she just hates to be covered up, she never liked it, she likes to keep her feet free, so sleeping bags weren't an option either. Only thing she tolerate 2 tog sleeping grow, because her feet are still free in it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Neringa said:
    Thank you, we do have one for her, but she just hates to be covered up, she never liked it, she likes to keep her feet free, so sleeping bags weren't an option either. Only thing she tolerate 2 tog sleeping grow, because her feet are still free in it.
    It was worth mentioning anyway, I hope you find the advice you need xx

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.