Hi, my name is katiebradyyyy! wondering how my rent and universal credit would be if part-time?

katiebradyyyy
katiebradyyyy Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited October 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
I’m working full time atm so pay full rent but I need to go part time now but worried I won’t afford my rent. I’m a council tenant, can I work so many hours and get my rent paid? My rent is £360 per month. And am I entitled to any uc? I’m looking after my mum who is on pip more but I’m not applying for carers as I won’t get it. Just wondering how my rent and universal credit would be if I went part time. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing
    You can try using a benefits calculator to see if you're entitled to anything https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=b70c5b38-5beb-48f4-beab-a513849453e1
    Please also be aware that if you reduce your hours then you could be sanctioned by UC. Is the reason you want to reduce your hours because of a health condition?
    Regarding carers allowance. Does your mum live alone? Is she claiming any other benefits besides PIP?

• katiebradyyyy
    katiebradyyyy Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I want to reduce them as my mum needs me to care for her more, she’s on PIP, she’s disabled (cannot use her right arm at all) so she’s needing me around the house more. I’ll try the calculator thanks 😊 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    edited October 2022
    You didn’t answer the question about what other benefits, if any, your mum gets and whether she lives alone. The answer will affect what advice is appropriate.

If you provide 35 hours/week of care you could claim the carer element if claiming UC (unlike Carers Allowance there isn’t an earnings limit) but that could affect mum’s benefits depending on what she gets.