Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

I have ADHD, I need assistance

golem123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello! I'm sorry for being a burden here, I just found this forum and I'm hoping you might know how to help. I'm sorry if ADHD doesn't count here, if this post doesn't belong here please point me somewhere better to ask this if you know.

 I have ADHD (and maybe also autism). I just applied for Universal Credit, my first real meeting is in a week and I need to probably apply for more things.
  I struggle to do a lot of tasks as a result of the ADHD. I graduated uni, but I needed a lot more time than the other students to do my stuff, and I'm incredibly burnt out as a result. And it was a subject I find relatively easy to focus on.
When I got my diagnosis and my medication I was so focused on finishing uni I didn't even think about how I'd survive outside of it.
 I find it hard to do anything alone, for example I struggle to go grocery shopping because I tend to get distracted or get choice paralysis, it does sometimes lead to me running out of food entirely. Even when I have ingredients in the house I struggle to cook for myself beyond very, very basic meals (pizza in the oven is about the most I can regularly manage because I hate washing up, the sensation of the water is unbearable). It just goes on like this for just about every task imaginable, aside from making art (my degree), creative writing, and talking to people. 

 This stands for pretty much my whole life. I'm not even sure how I'm going to complete the "35 hours of searching for work" a week I'm supposed to do this week- form filling, looking for work, reading work-related guides- even with the medication, I struggle a lot.

I don't know what to do. I can't really function like most people can, the jobs I can do are quite limited. 
  This is compounded by the anxiety I have. I'm on new medication (was supposed to be on it already this month but i lost the medication until today) but that's going to take a while to work (if it works)

I only filled out the forms for UC with a friend helping me. 

I don't know where to apply, maybe PIP, but otherwise I don't know. My ADHD is so much worse than I thought it was. When I was in uni, I had structure forcing me to keep my life together and even then I was a tremendous mess. I'm completely lost and out of my depth, all my friends are extremely busy uni students and I'm living with them out of the kindness of their hearts (i do not have income) they can't give me the support I need to get through the system and actually maybe find funding or something. I don't know what to do.

I want to do a PIP assessment but I need someone there to do the call with me and all my friends are too busy during the hours are open. I've been trying for literally months to o the PIP assessment but every time I try and pick up the phone I get too anxious to do it. I need someone there to do it with me, so they can prompt me because I tend to forget important things during assessments and get off track or just not call at all.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.