Hi, my name is philk! I get full pension. Can I claim off any department for help with my illnesses?

Options
philk
philk Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2022 in Benefits and income
Hello, I am 72 years old, not too far off 73 and I have diverticulitis and am a dibetic, I also get full pension as Ive paid full stamp all my working life.
Can I claim off any department for help with my illnesses.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,307 Championing
    Options
    As you're over state pension age it would be Attendance Allowance you would need to look at claiming. If you need help/care/support through the day and/or night. Details here. https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/attendance-allowance

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 353 Empowering
    Options
    I would just add to Poppy's post that I found Attendance Allowance quite easy to claim compared with the problems my husband has had over the years claiming PIP.

But they are two completely different benefits with very different criteria.  Attendance Allowance is all about what help you need for your personal care needs.  It doesn't matter if you are not actually receiving any care.

Also it is highly unlikely that you would need to have an assessment of any kind.
  • RetroRemix
    RetroRemix Community member Posts: 165 Empowering
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Welcome to the forum philk!

I'd just like to add: If you claim for Attendance Allowance please be aware it has a long wait list for the application (As many DWP benefits seem to have these days sadly). Normally they reply in 8 weeks (as they did for my family member I care for) but I've read that others have waited weeks or even months longer than that.. so it's pretty common if you don't seem to get a reply, other than the initial confirmation letter, for a long time.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Empowering
    Options
    ShirleyW said:

Also it is highly unlikely that you would need to have an assessment of any kind.
    unlikely yes but possible. It all depends on how you articulate your needs on the claim form and the quality of the evidence that you provide.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    Options
    OP, when you say full pension are you willing to say how much your pension is?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,307 Championing
    Options
    racyguy said:
    ShirleyW said:

unlikely yes but possible. It all depends on how you articulate your needs on the claim form and the quality of the evidence that you provide.

It's very unusual to have an assessment for AA.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Empowering
    Options
    Did your wife have an assessment @racyguy when she applied for her Attendance Allowance ?
    Yes, she did mainly because when I completed the claim form for her, I didn't really understand some of the questions and how to reply to them. 
    Obviously, she had a good report which led to the high, day and nigh time award for life.