Drying clothes — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Drying clothes

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,947 Disability Gamechanger
In winter we dry clothes indoors on clothes airers.

However this year we have started having the heating off or on on a lower level than before.

Now it is taking several days for clothes to dry. Also, they start to smell after a few days due to I believe bacteria on the wet fabric.

Does anyone have any tips for getting clothes dry, other than a tumble dryer, or turning the heating back on?

Thanks.

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,665 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Nope, I have the same problem.

I tumble dry towels and bedding but leave clothes on an airer.  They don't dry quickly enough this time of year to stop the damp smell.  

All you can do is move the airer somewhere warmer...either in front of a south facing window on a sunny day or next to a small plug-in heater.  Or the hot water tank if you have one.

The damp, cold air will also start to cause mould on the walls, so should aim to have enough heat and airflow to prevent that.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I know what you mean @66Mustang i only dry on an airer, took the line down in my garden - whats your weather been like, we've been lucky i can put my airer outside in the sun for a bit. x
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,113 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Airers are good at the moment I'm still pegging out as it's mild, also if they don't dry out side, I find they dry quicker on airer after being outside.
  • 66Mustang
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Putting the airer outside for a short while is a good idea, oddly didn't think of that, however sadly for us the dog would wee on it as anything outside is fair game as a toilet so not an option for us.

We put the airer in the conservatory at the moment, as it's the only place where it wouldn't get in the way. I guess that is good as there is no issue with damp walls as it's all glass in there. It's also south facing.

We were thinking of putting a little heater in there but not sure if that would end up being more expensive than just having the heating on for a few hours. Will have to work it out!
  • claregrace
    claregrace Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    If it’s not raining I stick it on the line, then iron it and put it on my heated airer, works well. If it’s raining or too damp I have a laundry spinner. I put that on for about 2 minutes and it takes out all the excess water then I iron an put on the heated airer. Works a treat. For years I have avoided putting on the heating. I use a single electric heater I. The room I am in along with a heated throw. Keeps the bills down and me toasty
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,913 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've been hanging mine out on dry days and they've been drying a little. I have used my drier too because i must admit i hate having wet washing hanging around. Smaller items i've dried on the radiator when the heating has been on. I'm still in credit with my energy account so that does help a little.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,777 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can put them on a second separate spin in the washing machine gets them a bit drier, you can also buy heated clothes racks for around £90 that are cheaper to run than a tumble drier which eats electric.
    We have 2 rubber balls in our tumble drier which helps them dry quicker 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    I use a heated airer and to soften the towels I chuck them in the dryer for 15 minutes job done.

Aldi was selling a heated airer with cover for £39.99.
    Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    Options
    I have been told that a good dehumidifier with a clothes drying option works well and is relatively inexpensive to run. I cannot vouch for this, it is something a professional housekeeper told me. I use a tumble dryer because all other options seem too time or space consuming; also, tumble drying leaves clothes less creased/wrinkled. I would rather economise on something else.
  • Sianee
    Sianee Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Options
    I do an extra spin in the washer then put them on clothes hangers.  I then hang them on a clothes rack (like you'd have in a clothes shop) and put a fan in front of it.  Mostly they dry well but if anything is still a little damp I'll hang them on the curtain pole in the spare room.
  • cpnan
    cpnan Community member Posts: 50 Connected
    Options
    Dehumidifiers are excellent for speeding up drying washing if you can afford the outlay.  They cost very little to run and also help massively with condensation.  Removing the damp from the air makes it easier to heat, so costs less in that respect.
    I’ve had one for several years and would never be without one now.  
    I’ve just bought one for my son and daughter-in-law as they had a little bit of mould forming in one of their rooms.  They are amazed at the amount of water it is taking out of the air and washing dries within a few hours. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I put some outside the other day and expected it to not do much as it was cloudy and cold, but was surprised just how well they still dried outside. I think it's the air flow and something to do with humidity. Even a pair of jeans was almost dry after just 4 hours. Indoors it can take well over a day!!

I always put the airer next to an open window but that's not helpful if you're cold.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    @cpnan I bought a very good dehumidifier after my flat was badly water damaged and full of mould. I too was amazed at how much water it sucked away and left my flat dry, even the wet plaster and wood work. I never used it on the clothes drying setting. I moved to a new build about 6 months ago and not thinking I would need a dehumidifier I gave it to a neighbour. Big mistake as I got a type of plaster beetle that eats invisible mould on plaster that is still damp, although it feels dry to the human touch. I think I will buy a new one!
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,113 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Oddball yes airer is a clothes rack. I've pegged out today  I've its still a little damp, will put on airer over night.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks to all for the tips!!
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    @cpnan I bought a very good dehumidifier after my flat was badly water damaged and full of mould. I too was amazed at how much water it sucked away and left my flat dry, even the wet plaster and wood work. I never used it on the clothes drying setting. I moved to a new build about 6 months ago and not thinking I would need a dehumidifier I gave it to a neighbour. Big mistake as I got a type of plaster beetle that eats invisible mould on plaster that is still damp, although it feels dry to the human touch. I think I will buy a new one!
    I'd never heard of these @Steve_in_The_City, do you know what they're called?? 
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    @Biblioklept They are called by various names and are misunderstood. It is horrid. They just appear out of nowhere. I was sitting having dinner in my new build flat and I became aware that one was walking (slowly) across the table. They like new builds because of the new plaster. I went to bed one night and this was truly horrendous for me: One was waking slowly across my duvet, heading for my pillow.

The council pest control doesn't understand them and can't help. But I have killed so many of them, about 500, that they are no longer a nuisance. My flat is completely  dried out.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    They sound awful @Steve_in_The_City!!! Good that you've managed to sort the issue but so crazy that no one could help with it
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    @Biblioklept Plaster Beetles are mostly associated with new builds because the plaster is still wet. They are hard to track down on Google, and when you do find them descriptions and advice about them are conflicting. A way of killing them is to heat your flat to well over 100f for 24 hours. They cannot stand this level of heat. I vacuum them up in to my cordless vacuum cleaner. They are undamaged by the carpet beating head and are still alive in the dust container after being hurtled around in the cylinder. I cover the cleaner in cling film so they can't escape. It is horrid, but I think they are gone now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.