If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

legal advice was arrested

Options
robbie9617
robbie9617 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
Hello I was arrested for suspected criminal damage, I was highly intoxicated and have no memory of being actually arrested, or how I got into the police cell, also have no recollection of the said criminal damage, I said I would like to see the cctv as I have no memory of this incident , I’m a bit worried as I haven’t got any support at the minute and suffer with psychosis , and other mental health issues,

I’ve never been court before and haven’t got any criminal offences , maybe possession of weed like a joint and drunk and disorderly but these were a long time ago

If the cctv shows it is me and it was in fact me that did this  , what is the likely hood of this case as I’ve been released on bail as said before never been to court and i know i wont be able to handle going into a court room.

What kind of support is out there
For me during this as I had difficulty during my interview I also let the officers know I suffer with mental health , but they only had a solicitor come and see me, I rarely go out due to my BDD, and my high anxiety , I was at a friends and have no  memory of what happened after I left.

I don’t know what to do about this as I rarely leave the house and find it difficult to speak to people and scared what is going to happen next I don’t have any support around me anymore .

please help 

thank you

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @robbie9617 might be a good idea to get a solicitor involved who can  give you the best advice. If u can get access to the ctv it might help you see what happened. But your best step is getting proper legal advice through a solicitor who knows the laws.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,806 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Defiantly get a solicitor they might be able to get you off with a caution if its first offence, as for other support speak to your GP.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• robbie9617
    Options
    i will contact my GP on monday and ask for advise thank you for your responses
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Will the solicitor you had when arrested not be following up your case and representing you ? 
  • robbie9617
    Options
    i dont know i wasnt given any contact details from the soliciter when i met her at the station. 

the police put me on bail and said they will be in contact soon.

what should i do as i am worried about whats to come and have no idea what to do about it on my own

thank you
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,231 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We can’t give any legal advice here. As others have advised you need to speak to a solicitor, some will give 30 minutes free legal advice. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/finding-free-or-affordable-legal-help/
    Your GP will not be able to help with legal advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The police should have details of the solicitor that was present 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,729 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

What kind of support is out there
    For me during this as I had difficulty during my interview I also let the officers know I suffer with mental health , but they only had a solicitor come and see me, I rarely go out due to my BDD, and my high anxiety , I was at a friends and have no  memory of what happened after I left.
    Could you ask your friends to see if any of them left with you or have any idea what happened? 

• robbie9617
    Options
    yes i remember shutting my friends front door and after that i cannot remember how i walked back or being arrested. or what i was arrested for, i was on my own at the time, i was told i drank a whole bottle of vodka neat to myself and left.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @robbie9617 Hello there, thanks for telling us some more about what's going on with you right now. It sounds like you have a lot on your mind and I'd imagine having no recollection of what went on is unnerving. We are here for you though, so please keep talking if it helps.

I just wanted to ask some more about your current position if that's ok? When you say you have no support at the moment - are you under the care of a GP or mental health team to support you with your psychosis and other mental health conditions? Also, is drinking large quantities of alcohol something you do regularly, or was this a one off? If you could give us a little more detail around that, it would help us to better help you. I understand you might prefer to share this information privately, and if that's the case please email us at community@scope.org.uk.

I can see our community members have given some excellent advice around seeing a solicitor. I'm also picking up that you are holding a great deal of anxiety around attending court if it reaches that point. I find having more detail about what happens helps alleviates some amount of worry and this 'Criminal courts and mental health factsheet' produced by the wonderful team at Rethink Mental Illness goes into detail about what to expect on the day and what support is available. 

One service that could be particularly beneficial to you is the Liaison and Diversion service, here's a little bit more about what they do taken from the Rethink fact sheet:

What are Liaison and Diversion services?
    You can find Liaison and Diversion (L&D) services in police stations and magistrates courts. And at some Crown courts.15
    These services are provided by the NHS.1
    6 They are there to help vulnerable people who are involved in the criminal justice system. You can be vulnerable for reasons like having a:
    • mental health problem,
    • learning disability, or
    • substance abuse issue.
    L&D services can assess your mental health and give information to the court about your mental health. Each local team is made up of professionals like psychiatrists, social workers and a community psychiatric nurses (CPNs).
    Their main aims are to improve health outcomes for people and to support them in reducing their offending. They can make sure that you get referred to suitable health or social care services.

17 You can refer yourself to the L&D service. If you would like help from an L&D service, please tell the customer services officer or usher at the court where your case is being heard. You can find the court’s contact details using the tribunal finder in the Useful contacts section at the end of this factsheet.

I appreciate that's a lot to take in, but we're about 24/7 so if you have any more thoughts please just give us a shout. Take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.