Can my mum claim anything for caring for me?

Options
amelia247
amelia247 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2022 in Benefits and income
Hi, can anyone tell me if you can claim Disability Premium even if my son was living with me. He was not my carer, my mum was the one who took care of me and claimed carers allowance and she still cares for me now despite her care allowance being stopped when she was 60.
She is 75yrs old, shouldn't there be something she could claim?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    Options
    She should still have what is called an ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carers Allowance even though she is not paid it. This would result in a carer premium being added to any calculation to Pension Credit. Has she ever applied for that? If she is single, with the premium included, her PC maximum amount would be £221.45/week. If her income is below that she would get atop up to this figure (less a reduction if she has savings over £10,000)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,287 Championing
    Options
    amelia247 said:
    Hi, can anyone tell me if you can claim Disability Premium even if my son was living with me.
    If you're referring to the Severe disability premium then if your son is a non dependant then no you won't be able to claim SDP unless he's either claiming a qualifying disability benefit himself or he's registered blind.
    It would also help to know what other benefits you're claiming because the disability premiums aren't paid with certain benefits, like Universal Credit.