If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, my name is jules5! UC are trying to get my son to go to work. Any advice?

Options
jules5
jules5 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Im my sons carer and appointee as well as his mum,my son gets pip high components for mobility have a car with mobility high component for living also since he was 4 he has been to schools for his learning disabilities he is 24 and is getting universal credit,until September he was going to colleges last 4 years for life skills,now universal credit is trying to make him go to work,my son cannot go out on his own and is vunerable,my son has mental disabilities not physical so has not needed to keep going to the drs my son has had work experience with his college,universal credit is insisting i take him to the drs for a fit note which is think is disgusting,my son does not know he has disabilities and i do not want to take him to the doctors it would upset him if he knew,universal credit when spoken to them do not understand how upsetting this is,can anyone give me advice please 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,180 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When claiming UC you are classed as a job seeker until a decision is made on a work capability assessment. It's a work coaches discretion whether they turn off or reduce work commiments, some do and others don't.
    You will need to do as they advised and report a change of circumstances on his journal and then report his health condition. You must then get a fit note and report this on his journal, within 7 days of reporting his health condition. You must continue to send the fit notes without any gaps until a decision is made on the work capability assessment.
    Unfortunately, PIP doesn't automatically entitle anyone to limited capability for work.
    If he's found to have LCWRA then he's be entitled to an extra £354 per month from the 4th month after the health condition was reported. There's a full guide to this here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition-quick-guide/universal-credit-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition
    Are you his appointee for his UC claim as well? Being his appointee for his PIP claim doesn't automatically make you his appointee for UC. If you're not then you'll need to put a message onto his journal and ask to become his appointee, a work coach will then contact you to arrange this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.