Does depression have a face? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does depression have a face?

Options
bluefox
bluefox Community member Posts: 636 Pioneering
I was really saddened to hear a friend recently committed suicide but there was no obvious signs. 

I feel in myself there’s obvious signs that I’m depressed but even some have judged they haven’t seen it in me whereas others have.

Can you tell if someone is suffering with depression? 

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,635 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Some people are better at reading body language than others.  Also worth noting that other people are generally less observant to small changes than we might expect. 

Overall I'd say there isn't one single visual confirmation that someone is living with depression.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the death of your friend by suicide @bluefox. How are you feeling?

There are a many organisations who offer information and support to those bereaved by suicide. Here are a few:
    You've asked a thought provoking question here :) I don't think it's always possible to tell that someone's depressed or suicidal, no.

I found CALM's 'The Last Photo' campaign really powerful, so I'd encourage you to check it out. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    No I don't think it has a face that you can easily see or notice in people.

But I do think that when it's very bad and maybe leading to suicidal thoughts and actions it has an energy you can't see but can maybe sense.

I have felt it around a depressed person and it feels wrong and dark and like a fog which is very thick.  I didn't recognise it for what it was at the time but hope I would understand what it was if I sensed it again.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I saw an amazing / depressing / interesting campaign about how depression doesn't have a face and it showcased the last photos of lots of people of all ages that had committed suicide. 
    Almost all of them, their nearest and dearest said they didn't have a clue.

I agree with @OverlyAnxious that some people are better at reading body language and are maybe some people are more observant generally. But equally I know sometimes when I'm outwardly more positive and jovial I'm probably at a much lower ebb. 
    Totally agree and know what you mean about the dark fog energy @ShirleyW

I'm so truly very sorry about your loss of your friend @bluefox <3 
  • bluefox
    Options
    Do you honestly think a psychiatry could diagnose it in a one hour meeting via zoom without doing a PHQ and GAD questionnaire?

One of my friends is a psychologist and he doesn’t think you can see it in someone via a remote meeting. Particularly without a questionnaire. 
  • elahrairah
    elahrairah Scope Member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    i think that a lot of people try to hide their depression from those around them.  Depression is so boring that you don't want to bore your friends about it; if you do, then half the time you then need to manage other people's emotions for them; there's little they can say or do to make the depression go away, so why would you bother - and that's even assuming that you don't think that your depression is unmanly, a sign of weakness, or isn't depression at all; and then assuming that your family or friends are not people who think depression is a sign of weakness or that depression makes you a dangerous nutter or think that depression is a just another word for being bone idle.

A better way to identify depression in other people (without being clinically trained) is by looking at their actions and attitudes.  Are they interested in things, are they doing the things that they normally value and enjoy?  Are they being avoidant, or drinking more, or doing more drugs, or are more apathetic about their values (i.e. perhaps a vegetarian is being less strict than usual about eating animal products etc).  Are they more argumentative than usual?  Are they going to work or walking their dog as usual?  Are they taking their meds?  This is something that seems to go when people become depressed, especially if they're on meds for their mental health, because it often seems like what's the point the drugs obviously don't work.

So yeah, depression can be hard to identify for lots of reasons - provided you really care about the person and believe depression exists there shouldn't be any shame about not identifying it in a friend or family member.

• Ollyoyster
    Ollyoyster Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm really sorry for your loss,, it's terrible💔,,,, no, I do not think depression has a face or a type,, I know, you can be bubbly and happy on the outside, to protect loved ones around you, but on the inside when no one is there, then you crumble, and it can be a vortex of emotions you really can't control.  So no everyone is different. Just my view x
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    bluefox said:
    Do you honestly think a psychiatry could diagnose it in a one hour meeting via zoom without doing a PHQ and GAD questionnaire?

One of my friends is a psychologist and he doesn’t think you can see it in someone via a remote meeting. Particularly without a questionnaire. 
    I guess you've done those questionnaires yourself at some point?  I don't find them helpful at all.  I've scored very highly for both anxiety & depression on them for the last 10 years.  But I don't consider myself depressed and have never been diagnosed with depression.  I can't cope with life, so a low mood is to be expected from that.  I was also managing (high functioning anxiety) up until the last couple of years.  Yet I still score the same on the forms now as I did a decade ago.  They're not a good indicator of mental health and daily impact in my opinion.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options

But equally I know sometimes when I'm outwardly more positive and jovial I'm probably at a much lower ebb. 

Not sure I've ever been 'jovial'...  :D   But I do agree with this.  The last family visit I was able to manage I felt so unwell, shouldn't have driven there, and was only able to stay for about 15 minutes, yet my family member pointed out how much better I looked & sounded than usual!  That was 2 years ago and I haven't managed another since.
  • bluefox
    Options
    bluefox said:

I guess you've done those questionnaires yourself at some point?  I don't find them helpful at all.  I've scored very highly for both anxiety & depression on them for the last 10 years.  But I don't consider myself depressed and have never been diagnosed with depression.  I can't cope with life, so a low mood is to be expected from that.  I was also managing (high functioning anxiety) up until the last couple of years.  Yet I still score the same on the forms now as I did a decade ago.  They're not a good indicator of mental health and daily impact in my opinion.
    What do you think would be a good indicator of good mental health?
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Oldcarsforme now i understand you a little more - since i've read this thread.
    You are right about mental health/ depression being a hidden disability but would you really like to wear a badge stating it, i have only just become disabled and not long been on the scope forum, i'm learning all the time.
    When i filled in my PIP form i was constantly thinking how would some one with depression etc prove they have a problem, i have since learnt that i can only tell if some one opens up about their own struggles. I take it, with the length of time you have been having these problems you are under the medics/doctors etc - do you feel you have had enough help etc. what sort of support would you like to be offered ? 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Oldcarsforme is ECT the electric shock treatment? If it is one of my cousins had it years ago after he had a break down, it didn't cure him just left him in a numb sort of state. After reading my post back, perhaps it did cure him but it left him with no empathy no ups or down feelings in his moods.
    Perhaps you need to stay with the councillors for longer, altho i do know they seam to be as busy as the rest of the NHS at the moment.
    Is there any think that lifts your spirits, hope you don't mind me asking, if so just ignore me. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.