Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Received my mandatory reconsideration notice today and have been turned down again. What now?

Options
angie58
angie58 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am trying to apply for PIP and received my mandatory reconsideration notice today and have been turned down again. I have arthritis in my right knee which is painful and swells up considerably, I cannot walk very far as the pain gets worse so and up hobbling and walking very slow and use an uploader brace and a stick. 
I cannot drive anymore as my knee gives way so not safe driving. Carrying anything also puts strain on my knee.
I have also had surgery on my left thumb/wrist to remove a badly arthritic bone. This has caused a weakness in my thumb and wrist. So unable to use a knife to cut my food which has to be done for me. Preparing food is impossible as can't grip veg to peel or picking up trays and pans, have burnt myself several times.
I had to put guard on my bed as getting out knee would give way and I would fall over. Dressings also difficult as can't grip with thumb.

Dwp say  nothing is wrong.

What do I do now to appeal, can't get report from GP they don't have appointment s for that. I'm getting very stressed. Any help appreciated thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,976 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's not surprising because the majority of MR decisions don't change. You can now request the Tribunal if you think you can score enough points needed for an award.
    Just a few pointers for you, your ability to drive isn't considered in any of the PIP descriptors, same for picking up and carrying items around the kitchen. Getting in and out of bed isn't also considered in any of the PIP descriptors.
    It will help you to have more understanding of the descriptors and what they mean. If you still don't understand them then i'd advise you to get some expert advice from an agency near you to check that it's possible to score the points needed for an award.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @angie58 :) I'm sorry to hear that your MR wasn't successful.

As poppy123456 has said, you may want to consider getting some expert advice on this. Especially if you're considering taking your appeal further. 

To find out what support is available near you, you can search on advicelocal.uk

It sounds as though your arthritis is affecting you quite a lot at the moment. Do you have help at home to support you with things like preparing food, and making sure you get all of your essential items in? 

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• Tbarber47
    Tbarber47 Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Options
    I have exactly the same things wrong with me i got turned down for pip funnily enough they said because i can drive im ok as you use your leg to change gears etc to cut a long story shurt i put in a mr and a guy from dwp rang me on the friday went through everything and on the monday he awarded me daily living pip but not the mobility side because he said how far can i walk before it effects u i said about 5 minutes not thinking that im at very slow rate as in pain so i didnt get mobility side but very pleased i got it overturned at mr but considering to appeal on mobility side so dont give up hope as i no the pain arteries causes and effects your daily life
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.