Is repeating a sentence annoying to you? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is repeating a sentence annoying to you?

Options
girldream
girldream Community member Posts: 11 Listener
My brother has hearing aids but sometimes it is hard for him to understand everything. Bc of some stupid comments that were made at school he has gotten insecure about asking because the people were often annoyed, So he avoids to have longer conversations which is not really good. He asks me how to ask somebody politely to repeat sth. Do you have any tips? And is repeating a sentence annoying to you?

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @girldream thanks for your question :) I don't think having to repeat sentences is annoying, especially if I'm aware that the person I'm speaking to needs me to speak more clearly.

There could be all sorts of reasons that someone would like a sentence repeated, so I try to focus on what I can do to get the message across, but this isn't always easy to do. Generally adults tend to be more reasonable about this, so it can be tricky to manage with other children. I wonder if the school could help support your brother with this?

As for tips, I'd say your brother could explain, for example: "I sometimes have trouble hearing people, especially in busy environments. Would you mind repeating what you've said, so that I can make sure I've understood you?"

It might not be the case that your brother has a harder time in busier places, but working in an example helps to create better understanding. I think most people, once they understand why they are being asked to do something, are more likely to do it without a fuss.

I hope that helps a little :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It sounds really difficult that your brother has gotten insecure about asking @girldream. I can hear how this has lead to your brother avoiding longer conversations. 

Repeating a sentence is not annoying to me, though I can be paranoid that it is because of my speech! In my case, it would be the reassurance that I just have not been heard. 

I hope this at least semi-helps. Hopefully, more people will share their tips with you soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.