If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Moving house - Would I have to move onto UC?

Options
Becky22
Becky22 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I’m supporting a person with serve mental health and they are moving, this post is as if they were asking the question! I’m after information about HB and staying in the local council/authority. I currently get ESA, CTC, CB and PIP. I am downsizing to a property that’s in the same district and has the same council. I’ve been told that I will have to go onto UC but I don’t understand why. Does anyone have any information about this or could point me in the right direction.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Becky22 said:
    I’ve been told that I will have to go onto UC 
    That is incorrect. Who has told you that?

If you moved to a different local authority you would not be able to make a new claim for HB and therefore if you wanted help with rent you would have to claim UC. That would end any income based ESA too.

However, as you are staying in the same local authority, a change of address and change in the rent in due should be processed as a change of circumstances to the existing HB claim. No other benefits are affected.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,499 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @becky22 :) 

I hope that calcotti's post has put their mind at ease a bit! 

It's great to hear that you're supporting them. Are they receiving enough support to help them manage their mental health problems at the moment?

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.