Decluttering with flare ups & ASB — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Decluttering with flare ups & ASB

Options
Not feeling well at all so just a very quick question.
Do any of you have any unique tips I could follow to get through this overwhelming but necessary decluttering task of a small upstairs council flat where I’m also experiencing horrendous anti social behaviour and also enduring frequent flare ups including these horrid , cold, paraesthesia sensations in whole body not just the limbs !?
really distressed struggling to type but please advise 

Comments

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm currently decluttering our home.  We've lived here nearly 40 years and have way too much stuff.

I struggle with osteoarthritis in most of my joints so the sorting out and decluttering is a challenge. 

I do it in short bursts of 20 to 30 minutes at a time then have a rest before starting again. 

I work on a small area at a time.  Say one cupboard or shelf for instance.   

Look at each item.
    Decide to either keep it, give to charity shop, sell or recycle/throw away.

Once a week we take stuff to the tip/recycling centre and to the charity shop. 

It helps to be organised and have three boxes to put stuff in. I've labelled my boxes SELL, CHARITY and DUMP. 

I stick to one room at a time, starting in one corner.  I've been doing my craft/sewing room (previously daughter's bedroom) for the last 4 weeks.  It's amazing how much space there is in that room now.  I've found lots of things I thought were lost and now all my craft and sewing things are neatly organised and easy to get at.

Tomorrow I will start on the small bedroom which used to be my son's but is now the computer room and library for my books.  It's become a dumping ground over the years so will take me at least a couple of weeks to sort out. 
  • ResilientNeighbour7
    ResilientNeighbour7 Posts: 198 Connected
    Options
    I’ve been lucky enough to get access to a litter picker and large bags which should help moving forward but the problem is not only the pain & stiffness & cold etc but the vile downstairs neighbour and the mental overwhelm or I don’t even know where to start !
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    Just do one small bit at a time.

If there is stuff piled up on chairs and tables then clear one chair first.  Then tomorrow clear another one.  Put any rubbish from the chair straight into the bin liner.

Don't think it needs doing all at once.  Slow and steady wins the race.
  • ResilientNeighbour7
    ResilientNeighbour7 Posts: 198 Connected
    Options
    Thank you it’s just so uncomfortable with the combination of all that’s going on including : neighbour asb, the horrifically itchy and painful skin and scalp disease,  the pains and stiffness ; it’s 11:41 ive been up since 5am showered by 9am not left flat and literally sat here in deep depression unable to do a thing and logged on here; I feel so outcast
    The other two night i declutter Ed bathroom and kitchen they’re still not complete but there’s space to walk now but this living room/main room of this tiny flat is just awful! Papers,folders,bags,boxes,broken shards of glass and other items, junk, rubbish,stationery, and more ****!
    I’m determined though.
     I can’t even put in earphones as they broke & im bot leaving until this gets done finally and permanentlyit 11:44 I’ll update later …

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.